Anyone shoot a Japanese Arisaka?

Are these basically safe queens or can you actually find ammo to shoot these things? From a historical aspect I'd love to find a decent shape early war version with AA and intact Mum. Although if ammo is hard to find I'd rather continue spending money on the European and American stuff. [smile]

Personally, I don't own any Jap guns, but I see them on the racks often enough. There are training versions that aren't meant for live-fire, too. The local shop even has a Tokyo Arsenal Siamese Mauser in 8x50R.
Ammo is available, but don't expect Wal-Mart to stock it. I have some white box American Eagle (Norma) and some older Norma boxed ammo. Norma and Hornady are likely your best source, but fairly expensive. Maybe Prvi Partizan will eventually come out with something in 6.5x50, too, but I see nothing in either Jap caliber to date.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=719230
That same local shop has crates of 7.7 semi-rimmed machine gun ammo, too (not that this is much use in the Arisaka).

Like most milsurps, you can find Arisaka's in a wide range of condition (and prices). If the gun was obviously well-cared for and the headspace is correct, they are generally safe to shoot - although most sellers advise you to still have it checked by a gunsmith.

The Anti-Aircraft sights you reference are generally found on the Model 99 Arisaka. If you look hard enough, you'll find complete mums - but expect to pay more.

As far as ammo goes, you have few options - it's definitely not on the shelf at Walmart, and it is infrequently found at gun shops. So that leaves you gun shows (like the Wilmington show on March 6th and 7th - highly likely to find some there), and reloading. The 6.5 Jap and 7.7 Jap are commercially produced by other manufacturers, but mostly what you see these days is Norma - at obscene prices.

If you check out Hatcher's Notebook, you'll learn that the Arisaka was considered a very strong action, comparable to US guns:

http://stevespages.com/page7d.htm

But for a really detailed history and description of the Arisaka (and other guns), you have to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Rifl...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266921647&sr=8-1

You can find it cheaper if you look around!

Good Luck!

Here is my Japanese Arisaka Type 38 with the intact chrysanthemum.

Nice rifle, great shooter.

BTW it is the longest rifle in my WW2 collections, wonder is they were compensating for something?

Cabelas has ammo for it and Lee sells the dies for reloading.

4381450987_7405f5d3d7_b.jpg

4382209112_ee44643070_o.jpg

4381450925_efc3b87a03_o.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Arisaka, It shoots well and the rounds are fairly wimpy. You can find ammo if you look around. PM me if you need some. Mine was a total mess when I got it and I never had it checked out or anything, I just cleaned it up and shot it and it did well.

arisaka ammo

tta89,

if you can stand the price, norma sells 7.7x58, but it costs nearly $2 a round. if you reload, reasonably price dies sets are available from lee and brass is available from graf's or can be fabricate from 8mm mauser or .30-06. i shoot my nagoya arsenal 1944 model with with cast bullet loads, but it handles full-power jacketed bullet loads easily.

the type 99 has a reputation as being ungodly strong...p.o. ackley reported that it was the only ww2 rifle he was unable to blow up.

neat gun.

budman

I have a Type 38 that I purchased many years ago. This is what I did to it:
1. Rechambered for 6.5x55 Swedish
2. Bought a Walnut high comb Boyd's Stock
3. Glass and pillar bedded it with Devcon
4. Put a Timney trigger in it
5. Put a BSA 6-24x44mm scope on it.
6. Put a Harris Bipod on it.
7. Re crowned the barrel.
When I get a chance I'll post a photo. At 200 yards this will shoot 1-1/2" 5 shot groups, but the barrel is thin and heats up after that. The group walks a bit and opens up after it warms up. But if you gotta put 5 where you need 'em this old girl will do it. Looks cool too.

the type 99 has a reputation as being ungodly strong...p.o. ackley reported that it was the only ww2 rifle he was unable to blow up.

neat gun.

budman

My 99 kicks like a MULE, but I love the gun. I have the AA sights, but the mum is ground off.

I thought the Model 99 only came in 7.7 Jap. Do you have a Model 38?

You looked at mine at the Battle rifle shoot. I just got it running and didn't have rounds for it yet. I sure hope its not chambered in 7.7 because I have shot about 80 rounds of 6.5 out of it.

Ammo for these is harder to find. Hornady makes 7.7 and 6.5. Actually Prvi Partisan makes it for Hornady. There have been rumors that they are coming out with their own which will most likely be cheaper than the Hornady. Norma also makes the ammo but it is big bucks. If you reload it is an easy cartridge to reload. Brass is available and if you are real cheap you can easily make it out of 8mm or .30-06. Bullets are the standard .311 bullets and I have used pulled down 7.62x54 bullets with good success. THe only Arisakas you need to worry about shooting are the last ditch late war models from early 1945 on and the cadet rifles. Other than that they are fantastic rifles. I have a few and they all shoot well. If I was looking for one I would look for a good early Type 99 or early transitional rifle. They still have the neat stuff like the AA wings and the monopod. You will be hard pressed to find one with a matching bolt. These rifles are some of my favorite milsurps as they are simple robust and reliable. The late war last ditches show just how simple a bolt gun can be made and still be an effective fighting tool.

Thanks guys! That is what I was thinking of looking for is an early type 99 with intact Mum and AA sights. Not in a hurry just didn't want to buy something that I couldn't shoot, it probably would be something I bring to C&R shoots and use a few times a year.

Nice pics! Glad to see a lot of members have these in their collections. :)

Do you guys have Nambu's also? How do find ammo for those?

Do you guys have Nambu's also? How do find ammo for those?

I don't have any Japanese guns but jhave seen nambu ammo for sale at gun shows before. The NY dealers usually have it and its not that badly priced. You can probably find some at the upcoming Wilmington show as there should be 2 NY ammo dealers there with a good selection. Its the best show for ammo IMO.

Nambu ammo is harder to find. I dont think there are any major manufacturers that make it. There is older stuff around but you will pay. Also both Gads and Buffalo manufacture it. Nambu ammo is how Midway got its start. Huntingtons has the brass. Brass can be made from .30 rem and I have heard 40 or 357 Sig. I have a few hundred 6.8 SPC that I am going to try once my HDS brass is done. There are both FMJ and cast bullets available.

Nambu ammo is harder to find. I dont think there are any major manufacturers that make it. There is older stuff around but you will pay. Also both Gads and Buffalo manufacture it. Nambu ammo is how Midway got its start. Huntingtons has the brass. Brass can be made from .30 rem and I have heard 40 or 357 Sig. I have a few hundred 6.8 SPC that I am going to try once my HDS brass is done. There are both FMJ and cast bullets available.

Yeah, too bad the OP is from MA - and none of the vendors above will ship ammo OR components to our fellow inmates. Even MA FFL dealers are having a difficult time with some vendors.

Definitely plan on going to the Wilmington show. It's not great because the NY ammo boys are there - it's great because so many OTHER vendors bring ammo that the NY boys are forced to lower their prices to sell anything. Contrast that to the Springfield shows where they're the only game in town.

Here is my Japanese Arisaka Type 38 with the intact chrysanthemum.

Nice rifle, great shooter.

BTW it is the longest rifle in my WW2 collections, wonder is they were compensating for something?

Cabelas has ammo for it and Lee sells the dies for reloading.
4382209112_ee44643070_o.jpg

4381450925_efc3b87a03_o.jpg
Hey I remember that floor and that gun. I'm glad it was a good shooter for you

Back
Top Bottom