Anyone seen decent surplus 30-06 lately?

I recently picked up a Garand and have been on the lookout for some surplus 30-06, M2 ball or what not. I spoke to my LGS and they said the last few cans they got were de-linked rounds and a lot of them were rusted inside the can, so they haven't ordered any lately, and they're looking for another source.

CMP I heard is selling the same stuff, the Greek HXP with the same issues, plus waiting 2-3 months for possible rusted ammo isn't really appealing.

So has anyone seen any locally (North of Boston)? Single boxes or bulk? I'm dying to shoot this thing.

On a side note, State Line in Plaistow is FUDD city. Asking the mere question if they carried any was met with sarcastic answers and attitude.

"We only got ultra premium core loct bone collector antler destroyer super hunting thirty ot six, none o' dat filthy surplus shit."

If you re dying to shoot it just go to a guns shop and buy the "M1 rated" 30-06 ammo that most have. Blue Northern in Ayer sells it. Yup its about $28 for a box of 20 rounds but if I had an M1 I was dying to shoot Id pony up.

M1s are not cheap to feed!

Certainly your mileage may vary, but the 2 cans of Greek ammo I got from the CMP were in fantastic shape and arrived fairly quickly, 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly.

If you re dying to shoot it just go to a guns shop and buy the "M1 rated" 30-06 ammo that most have. Blue Northern in Ayer sells it. Yup its about $28 for a box of 20 rounds but if I had an M1 I was dying to shoot Id pony up.

M1s are not cheap to feed!

No one has it locally and I'm not that desperate. Planning on saving the brass for reloading as well.

Certainly your mileage may vary, but the 2 cans of Greek ammo I got from the CMP were in fantastic shape and arrived fairly quickly, 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly.

If all else fails I'll give it a shot.

I recently picked up a Garand and have been on the lookout for some surplus 30-06, M2 ball or what not. I spoke to my LGS and they said the last few cans they got were de-linked rounds and a lot of them were rusted inside the can, so they haven't ordered any lately, and they're looking for another source.

CMP I heard is selling the same stuff, the Greek HXP with the same issues, plus waiting 2-3 months for possible rusted ammo isn't really appealing.

So has anyone seen any locally (North of Boston)? Single boxes or bulk? I'm dying to shoot this thing.

On a side note, State Line in Plaistow is FUDD city. Asking the mere question if they carried any was met with sarcastic answers and attitude.

"We only got ultra premium core loct bone collector antler destroyer super hunting thirty ot six, none o' dat filthy surplus shit."

Let me get this straight...sounds like you want the new "M1 rated" 30-06 stuff for 30 cents a round or something. Do you even have an account at CMP? The loose Greek "rusted ammo" that you're talking about is anything but. My last order shipped in two weeks.

Stateline Guns in Plaistow is a good shop with friendly people behind the counter. Obviously you pushed the wrong button.

Let me get this straight...sounds like you want the new "M1 rated" 30-06 stuff for 30 cents a round or something. Do you even have an account at CMP? The loose Greek "rusted ammo" that you're talking about is anything but. My last order shipped in two weeks.

Stateline Guns in Plaistow is a good shop with friendly people behind the counter. Obviously you pushed the wrong button.

By asking if anyone has seen SURPLUS ammo anywhere, I can see you thought I meant that I was looking for newly manufactured commercial ammo specific to the M1 Garand.

And yeah I truly was an ******* walking into state line intending to give them money for a product I thought they might sell. When they asked if they could help me with anything my response was very rude, "yes, I was just curious if you sold any surplus M2 ball 30-06?" I can totally see how I came off as a dickhead.

Reason for my concern, right off the CMP ammo sales website:
WARNING - Surplus Ammunition

All ammunition is subject to deterioration over time. Customers should expect that 5% to 15% of the cartridges in any can may exhibit some stages of discoloration or corrosion or other abnormalities. As with any surplus ammunition, each and every round should be carefully checked before use.

Deformed or otherwise suspect rounds should not be fired.

These cartridges are aged surplus military ammunition. This ammunition is NOT newly-manufactured, and is sold STRICTLY IN “AS IS” CONDITION, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Last edited:
The disclaimer from CMP was probably written by their legal counsel. Buy the surplus, load it into your Garand and have fun shooting it. I have two M1s and they eat the stuff up no problem. YMMV

PM me and I can get you started with a few rounds.

Last edited:

I've ordered and/or picked up 3 cans of the loose 30-06 from the CMP int he last 3-4 months, not one round had a spot of rust on it. One of the .30Cal ammo cans was pretty beat up with a bit of rust, but the ammo itself was fine. They put the ammo in a heavy duty plastic bag inside the cans. The ammo is fine, and it will get you the most for your $. I'll be buying all I can until they run out, and then i'll start reloading for it.

I've ordered and/or picked up 3 cans of the loose 30-06 from the CMP int he last 3-4 months, not one round had a spot of rust on it. One of the .30Cal ammo cans was pretty beat up with a bit of rust, but the ammo itself was fine. They put the ammo in a heavy duty plastic bag inside the cans. The ammo is fine, and it will get you the most for your $. I'll be buying all I can until they run out, and then i'll start reloading for it.

This. I have gone through all 10 cans that you can order in a year and only 3 rounds I would say were iffie. I've shot like 300 or so without an issue. Don't hesitate, just order. If you didn't buy based on disclaimer you would never buy anything if you really read the things.

I'll send in my birth cert and goal card and give the CMP a shot then. Thanks for the advise.

Swanzey NH is quite a hike, thanks though.

If anyone is looking for the new American Eagle 30-06 loaded for the M1, FS has a ton of it. Not cheap, but if you are in a bind it's something.

The disclaimer from CMP was probably written by their legal counsel. Buy the surplus, load it into your Garand and have fun shooting it. I have two M1s and they eat the stuff up no problem. YMMV.

This.

CMP is notoriously conservative with their product descriptions/disclaimers, almost to the point of being negative. Rest assured that you'll get good quality ammo. Something else to be aware of: CMP's customer service is nothing short of awesome. They like satisfied customers.

If you do order the HXP, hang onto the brass for future reloading. It's very good quality, with only a light primer crimp. I've been very happy with it.

You will not find decently priced M2 ball surplus ammo locally. CMP .65 per round. or PPU for 70-90 cents per round if you find it. Cabela's often has it.

That said TELL US ABOUT THIS M1 you picked up!
Talk to your LGS have them order some PPU through aim. whatch the price markup!

I waited about 2 months this summer - but every single round of the 600 rounds they sent was in great and shootable shape.

Walmart in Plaistow usually has some, between that and 270 that's all they really ever have..

Think the op is looking for the M1 specific ammo (slightly lower pressure than modern loaded)........as he may not have installed the adjustable poppet valve (gas plug) yet. That is my take anyway because modern 30-06 is not really tough to find a about $1.00 a round pretty much anywhere you go.

You will not find decently priced M2 ball surplus ammo locally. CMP .65 per round. or PPU for 70-90 cents per round if you find it. Cabela's often has it.

That said TELL US ABOUT THIS M1 you picked up!
Talk to your LGS have them order some PPU through aim. whatch the price markup!

1943 Springfield service grade in really nice shape. Had to take a bit of Cosmo off, but gave me a chance to tear the rifle down and get to know it. Very neat, unique action btw. I was able to test it out this weekend. I traded a friend 20rds of hunting 30-06 for 20 rds of CMP surplus. Not enough for me to get it sighted in though unfortunately. (it was shooting low right.)

I can say that I did get a boner the first time I heard that spent clip eject though. Love this rifle.

Think the op is looking for the M1 specific ammo (slightly lower pressure than modern loaded)........as he may not have installed the adjustable poppet valve (gas plug) yet. That is my take anyway because modern 30-06 is not really tough to find a about $1.00 a round pretty much anywhere you go.

The ported plug from Garand Gear is getting ordered ASAP. Still, I'm mainly looking for surplus for the slight cost savings over commercial which is in fact, at least $1 per round.

I saw Korean surplus up at rileys in cans of 250ish IIRC but I'm pretty certain that's corrosive so I wouldn't let it near my Garand. The CMP stuff is just fine, the cans may be rough/rusty but the ammo is fine. I bought 6 cans of the stuff over the past couple of months and there wasn't a bad round in the bunch. Some may be dirty and its all tarnished, but none were corroded or rusty or in any way unusable. Whoever complained was probably expecting pristine shiny 50+ year old ammo, which is just idiotic.

The CMP loose HXP rounds are great. Like others have said, the cans aren't very nice, but the ammo inside is fine. I've gone through a few cans without a problem. And they reload great.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to send in my info to the CMP tomorrow and order a can when my account is set up. I'll report back on its condition in this thread if I remember.

1943 Springfield service grade in really nice shape. Had to take a bit of Cosmo off, but gave me a chance to tear the rifle down and get to know it. Very neat, unique action btw. I was able to test it out this weekend. I traded a friend 20rds of hunting 30-06 for 20 rds of CMP surplus. Not enough for me to get it sighted in though unfortunately. (it was shooting low right.)

I can say that I did get a boner the first time I heard that spent clip eject though. Love this rifle.

The ported plug from Garand Gear is getting ordered ASAP. Still, I'm mainly looking for surplus for the slight cost savings over commercial which is in fact, at least $1 per round.

More than 20 rounds to sight in a M1? Sounds like your where having to much fun!
Zero is easy. Loosen front sight and center best as possible tighten. Use a pincil to make a reference mark.Bring the Allen wrench to the range. Center the rear windage. Come up a few clicks on elevation. 30-50 yards take 3 shots. They should be darn close. Now move your front sight to center your group.
Move out to 100yd most garands need approx 5-10 clicks up to get on target.
Fine tune to your sight picture....on my rifles I shoot in matches I use white paint pen to mark my 100 yard zero on rear sight.

By asking if anyone has seen SURPLUS ammo anywhere, I can see you thought I meant that I was looking for newly manufactured commercial ammo specific to the M1 Garand.

And yeah I truly was an ******* walking into state line intending to give them money for a product I thought they might sell. When they asked if they could help me with anything my response was very rude, "yes, I was just curious if you sold any surplus M2 ball 30-06?" I can totally see how I came off as a dickhead.

Reason for my concern, right off the CMP ammo sales website:

Did you consider asking about the CMP ammo here?

All of would tell you it's great stuff. In about 7 or 8 cans I've never had a bd round, despite 40+ year old head stamps.

CMP ammo
Some of the sealed tin stuff that cam in the 20 round boxes had some corroded rnds on the carboard ends where the brass touched the carboard end that was glued. Not enough to be a problem. Some rounds have tarnish. As I stated I have a little box for my CMP HXP ammo rejects 4k rounds later i have maybe 20 rounds of which 10 will most likely fire I just didnt take the time to clean of the grit.
Most shops will not bother selling HXP surplus because the majority of the people who would buy it know how musch it cost through the CMP. Other than someone bringing in an estate LGS wouldnt bother. Now places that might lean twards surplus firearms and such might have some on hand for a small mark up for those not knowing or not willing.
LGS are funny why so many just cant say yes or know or just offer to order some for you for a fee to recieve it is beyound me....heck theres a LGS in weymouth that has talked me out of spending my money on their own inventory its funny.

Just to add
The Korean ammo can be either. Corrosive or non depends on head stamp.
I leaned on corrosive for all of it I had as it came loose and mixed. Fine ammo and as accurate as HXP. When I bought it it was cheap. Now its about. 70 cents per round.
PPU M2 BALL. Again. I didnt see anything about this ammo to make it worth more than what you ca get HXP for. Best price I have seen PPU in stock for is 425$/500rd. Cabela 's has had it for 379.00 not long ago.
HXP by far is your best deal still @65 cents ea.
Not long ago I was buying all the hxp I could afford at 75$ shipped. Then again not long ago I thought 25cents rd for 223 was insane.! What is the real kicked is my pay has fallen way behind any cost increases.......way behind.

Collectors in Stoneham had one of those cans of PPU for about $379 just before xmas. Looked like nice stuff, someone grabbed it since then. The Korean stuff at rileys was corrosive according to mfr date on the chart I checked.

Just ordered 2 cans of the Greek HXP @ $260 shipped. Now I wait. Anyone have any input as to how long, lately?

Back
Top Bottom