Anyone know any PDs are taking on auxiliary/ part time people in N. Rhode Island?

I've been trying for a year now to get on full time with a department and keep running into cancelled academys and dept. that stop the process mid way. I have no experience so I think my best bet would be an auxiliary/ part time gig somewhere to build some time learning the ropes. I've got an apartment in N. Smithfield and also in southern Maine so if anyone is aware of any places in between, that would be great.

Thanks

I would check out the places in Maine that hire alot of Reserve officers for the summer months when they are swamped with tourists. You've pretty msut missed the boat for part-time in NH because the paperwork deadline for the nest NH part-time academy is saturday, but I'm not aware of the regs in Maine. Check out the Maine.gov website and look for the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.

Its not in Ri but provincetown ma just posted a listing for seasonal officers.

I would not want to be associated with PTown PD in any way, shape or form.

Just my opinion after they beat the schit out of a friend of mine and his boyfriend.

Hampton Beach/Hampton NH is always hiring seasonals.

I would not want to be associated with PTown PD in any way, shape or form.

Just my opinion after they beat the schit out of a friend of mine and his boyfriend.

Hampton Beach/Hampton NH is always hiring seasonals.

Sorry about your friend. I don't know anyone who works there just passing along the listing

Northbridge MA has a fairly active reserve program going complete with it own HQ, next to the regular PD.
Seasonal hires check Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket as well as the lower cape and Bourne for the summer, they start the application process in March. Talk to them now to get sponsored and through the reserve academy or get the waivers if you have previous LE experience. The islands will start you out on foot patrol the first season. The second season may get you an ATV on the beach or on a boat. Third season you might get a cruiser and go solo.

How does the reserve thing work? I'm going to be looking into these summer positions (Live near the cape, going to try for the town I live in first this week) but how hard is it to get one of these positions, or get sponsored to go to the academy?

New Hampshire only has one academy, and in order to attend you have to be hired and sent by a town/city/county/state LE agency.

http://www.pstc.nh.gov/academy.htm

Some other states allow others to teach an accredited course and certify officers, who then have to be "hired" as officers (even as unpaid reserves) and work a minimum number of hours to maintain their certification. In Texas, for example, potential officers can be hired by a PD or agency, which will then send the new employee to either the agency's own academy, or a regional academy. Or, someone who just really wants to be a cop can pay their own way through a regional academy (held at a junior or community college), and apply to PDs or agencies after TCLEOSE certification. (Most will work as unpaid reserves to maintain certification, until they get enough hours to work part-time for small towns, and eventually get enough experience to work full time for a larger department or agency.)

So, what if you are certified from another state? Still: good luck.

http://www.pstc.nh.gov/faqs.htm

Q19. I am a certified out-of-state officer. Can I be hired in New Hampshire without going through the entire Academy?

A19. If you are currently serving as a certified, academy-trained, full-time police officer in another state, you may be eligible to have some subjects waived in our Academy and only attend about 100 hours of commuter “New Hampshire Law Package” training, and pass tests on these modules. You still must meet all the pre-hiring and background investigation requirements, pass the medical and psychological exams and the physical fitness test. You will also be required to pass the on-going physical fitness test every 3 years to maintain your New Hampshire certification. We are reciprocal with all other states in the US and recognize their training if it is at least equal in scope to ours. Any classes you did not have in your state of origin, you may be required to take in our Academy. If your First Aid/CPR certificate has expired, this training will also be required. If our analysis of your out-of-state training requires you to take the equivalent of 30% of our total Academy hours, you will be required to attend our entire Academy. NOTE: The Corrections Academy is not reciprocal with any other state, and you must take the entire 9-week course here, if you move in from another state. Also some New Hampshire police departments, as a matter of their own policy, will require you to complete the entire New Hampshire Police Academy.

Q20. My prior experience and training was in the military service or for a federal law enforcement agency. Must I attend the New Hampshire Police Academy to be an officer or a police chief in your state?

A20. Yes. We don’t recognize federal or military police training.

I don't know if that was in reply to mine, if so thanks for the info. I'm looking for info on Mass though. Im not 100% sure how the reserve/intermittent academy works especially as it pertains to summer police jobs in places like cape cod or nearby towns.

I don't know if that was in reply to mine, if so thanks for the info. I'm looking for info on Mass though. Im not 100% sure how the reserve/intermittent academy works especially as it pertains to summer police jobs in places like cape cod or nearby towns.

I have no idea wrt Summer police jobs. I can tell you that the R/I Academy typically takes 6 months (part-time), so I'm not sure how that can be imposed on someone hired only for 3-4 months.

On the other hand, the liability of working the street (for the officer) w/o training these days is phenomenal, especially in a tourist environment. Lawsuits du jour! [sad]

I dont know if they all require it, but I was pretty certain that the website said to be hired for seasonal they required the R/I academy.

I dont know if they all require it, but I was pretty certain that the website said to be hired for seasonal they required the R/I academy.

Last time I looked into this almost all Cape towns hiring required the R/I academy. I don't remember any that specifically excluded it. Martha's Island towns I believe also required it.

Nantucket hires summer specials that doesn't require the academy (they run their own the first 2-3 weeks of the summer) but their powers are VERY limited now, basically meter maids. It has gone down significantly over the last few years after some incidents.

Look into Maine beach towns. Don't know what the deadlines are but they used to be later than NH at least.

I have no idea wrt Summer police jobs. I can tell you that the R/I Academy typically takes 6 months (part-time), so I'm not sure how that can be imposed on someone hired only for 3-4 months.

You just have to find someone to sponsor you before you apply, or maybe they'll send you early enough that you'll graduate before the season starts.

It seems that no RI PD hires seasonal/reserve officers due to lack of funding and there's no Reserve Academy course. Martha's Vineyard reserve officers go through a 3 week Reserve/Intermittent Academy offered on the island, usually at the Oak Bluffs/Edgartown PD, with Plymouth Academy instructors brought in every day. Most, if not all towns on Cape Cod send their reserve officers to the Plymouth Academy.

Hiring for summer positions usually starts around now, the latest they accept is usually April or so. Most PDs go for candidates who have gone through the MA Police Academy, then R/I Academy, then people new to the field. A big plus if you know the area well.

Merrimac, MA is looking for a full time officer. Deadline is March 1st, im going to apply but with pretty much no experience I doubt I have a chance against the part timers and laid off cops..

Last time I looked into this almost all Cape towns hiring required the R/I academy. I don't remember any that specifically excluded it. Martha's Island towns I believe also required it.

Nantucket hires summer specials that doesn't require the academy (they run their own the first 2-3 weeks of the summer) but their powers are VERY limited now, basically meter maids. It has gone down significantly over the last few years after some incidents.

Look into Maine beach towns. Don't know what the deadlines are but they used to be later than NH at least.

From what I've been hearing, even the Islands are requiring the MPTC R/I academy prior to appointment to a seasonal position. When I was a seasonal officer 11 or 12 years ago, all the cape towns required the R/I academy.

Merrimac, MA is looking for a full time officer. Deadline is March 1st, im going to apply but with pretty much no experience I doubt I have a chance against the part timers and laid off cops..

Not to be a downer, but for every non-civil service position, there are 100+ full time academy trained guys applying. They wont be hiring fresh folks off the street. It cant hurt to apply to get the experience of applying, however, know that realistically, the chances of getting an interview are slim unless youre academy trained.

Not to be a downer, but for every non-civil service position, there are 100+ full time academy trained guys applying. They wont be hiring fresh folks off the street. It cant hurt to apply to get the experience of applying, however, know that realistically, the chances of getting an interview are slim unless youre academy trained.

That or if you know someone high enough on the chain of command really well.

Back
Top Bottom