Anyone here reloading .40 S&W?

My everyday plinking load is 5.5 gr of Unique under a 180 gr Magnus #101 truncated cone lead bullet. Feeds and cycles flawlessly through my Sig 229.

I use 4.7 gr of Titegroup under a 180gr JHP for USPSA.
I use 4.5 gr of 231 under a 155gr plated Berry's FP for steel.

I cant remember the OAL's of the top of my head.

If these are for your very first reloads, I'd recommend 2400 under a 180-185 grain bullet. 40's not too forgiving, and it was my first caliber when I started reloading, and I started with 2400. It's impossible (or at least very, very difficult) to overcharge like that.

Yes I use a Lee progressive for 40 and 45. I prefer to use Titegroup. 4.7gr, below a 165 FMJ or plated bullet.

Yes I use a Lee progressive for 40 and 45. I prefer to use Titegroup. 4.7gr, below a 165 FMJ or plated bullet.

I also have a second press for .45 but figured I would start out reloading the .40 since that's what I shoot most.

Are you using the factory crimp die? I read somewhere about issues with the .40 and crimping, are you aware of any issues (related to pressure)?

I seat and crimp in the same station with the Lee seat/crimp die. I don't crimp very tightly, just enough to remove the bell, and a very little extra to hold the bullet in place. I don't see how there would be pressure issues crimping the .40, factory rounds are crimped. Also, whenever you are loading for a new caliber or even just experimenting with different powders, you should start well below max, and work your way up to an acceptable well working round in small increments, checking for signs of excessive pressure as you go.

I seat and crimp in the same station with the Lee seat/crimp die. I don't crimp very tightly, just enough to remove the bell, and a very little extra to hold the bullet in place. I don't see how there would be pressure issues crimping the .40, factory rounds are crimped. Also, whenever you are loading for a new caliber or even just experimenting with different powders, you should start well below max, and work your way up to an acceptable well working round in small increments, checking for signs of excessive pressure as you go.

[thread hijack]Is there anyplace to go on the web where there is an illustration of excessive
pressure indicators? I must be doing something right as I haven't ever seen any signs that
I can point to and say Aha, excessive pressure![/thread hijack]

180gr Frontier CMJ
4.6gr/TiteGroup or 4.6gr/VVN320 or 7.5gr/HS6
1.133" OAL.

I get a PF of 177 with TiteGroup. 176 with VV320. 180 with HS6.

Last edited:
The only load I have done for 40 is using 7.5 grains of AA #5, Winchester small primers and Hornady 155 gn xtp bullets on a Lee classic cast turret press.

Back
Top Bottom