Anyone here into CMP service pistol?

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
I've had a lot of fun with CMP service rifle over the past couple years and was thinking about getting into CMP service pistol over the winter when the rifle season winds down. Anyone around here into this?

There are quite a few people in Eastern MA who are into service pistol. I am not sure how waiting for winter will work out because the only matches I know about are held in the summer. Speaking of which there are two coming up fairly soon. There is one at Angletree in N. Attleboro in early August and one in Pelham NH in September. A good source of info is nepistol.com

There are quite a few people in Eastern MA who are into service pistol. I am not sure how waiting for winter will work out because the only matches I know about are held in the summer. Speaking of which there are two coming up fairly soon. There is one at Angletree in N. Attleboro in early August and one in Pelham NH in September. A good source of info is nepistol.com

Cool, thanks for the link!

If you get a 22LR slide for your pistol, there are tons of indoor gallery leagues in the winter you could use for practice.

There is very little centerfire competition during the winter. Sharon used to run 1800 matches, I'm not sure they still do.

I've had a lot of fun with CMP service rifle over the past couple years and was thinking about getting into CMP service pistol over the winter when the rifle season winds down. Anyone around here into this?

I would like to finished getting distinguished with the pistol, however I need to have one built again. [thinking]

There is very little centerfire competition during the winter. Sharon used to run 1800 matches, I'm not sure they still do.
Sharon still runs winter matches but they are .22 only and therefore only a 900. In order for there to be a CMP match the host match has to be either a state championship or a regional. Sharon does have the Mass state .22 championship every year and I suppose that would qualify them to have a CMP match but I have never heard of one being held indoors. I am not sure I would want to shoot a .45 ball gun indoors in any case. The loads used to get them accurate are normally pretty stout. Yes I know 9mm Berettas are now allowed but most people still use the 1911 .45.

Yes I know 9mm Berettas are now allowed but most people still use the 1911 .45.

I'm sort of surprised there. I would have guessed that a properly built Beretta would be at least as accurate as a similarly prepared 1911 and a lot cheaper and easier to shoot. I guess there are more 1911 smiths out there though.

I'm sort of surprised there. I would have guessed that a properly built Beretta would be at least as accurate as a similarly prepared 1911 and a lot cheaper and easier to shoot. I guess there are more 1911 smiths out there though.
You are exactly right on all counts. The Beretta can be made to shoot just as good as the 1911. You just have to ignore the old timers who say that you should wear a dress if you are going to shoot one.

You are exactly right on all counts. The Beretta can be made to shoot just as good as the 1911. You just have to ignore the old timers who say that you should wear a dress if you are going to shoot one.

There are still a few service rifle guys clinging to the M14 (and even the occasional Garand,) but most seem to have moved over to "those junky black plastic toy guns" now. I imagine the same thing will happen with the Beretta too. [grin]

My point was the 9mm is becoming the choice for many in CMP pistol competitions. Recoil management is easier especially on the rapid fire stage.
I don't think that ammo is issued any longer. Light loaded 230 fmj ammo would be in use, for recoil management. Most of the photos in you link show 1911's in use, the only Berrettas were in the hands of the Army.

I don't think that ammo is issued any longer. Light loaded 230 fmj ammo would be in use, for recoil management. Most of the photos in you link show 1911's in use, the only Berrettas were in the hands of the Army.

That's because there are only a couple of guys in the country making them. The Army and USMC teams wouldn't be using them if they didn't find them superior to the 1911's in competition.

That's because there are only a couple of guys in the country making them. The Army and USMC teams wouldn't be using them if they didn't find them superior to the 1911's in competition.

They should be using Glocks!

They should be using Glocks!

In the grenade tossing championships they do!

Soldier-Glock-Grenade-730x1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom