anyone have experience adding a cannelure to a Jacketed bullet?

The Anchor

NES Member
recently scored a deal on some bullets i will be using to load 500 S&W. the bullets are winchester platinum JHP, 400 grain . they currenlty have no cannelure, and i was in search of a taper crimp die to crimp with ( not easy finding one). I am contemplating adding a cannelure to them with a corbin tool. Does anyone have any experience with that tool? alternately anyone have experiance loading for 500 S&W with a taper crimp?

thanks

Hopefully EddieCoyle will be along - from what I've read here, he is extremely knowledgeable with reloading that particular round.

agreed, i emailed Eddiecoyle first as i believe he is one of the most respected hand loaders here, unfortunately he had no experience with either...

I would check the castboolits forum. Or dukeinflorida. They do a lot of swaging and I know duke has done some too. He should know about the Corbin tool

The CH4D swaging tool is suitable for adding the cannelure to any bullets. And, cheaper than the Corbin tool. Fully adjustable to cannelure location. The issue is that the swing arm is short, and your hand gets tired fast pulling the arm towards the bullet. Also, the rotating lever for rolling the cannelure is also short. Same issue. Be careful to set the set screw that controls the depth of the cannelure, though. It is possible to CUT through the bullet jacket, destroying the integrity of the bullet.

[video=youtube_share;G2NMMTqQdac]http://youtu.be/G2NMMTqQdac[/video]

A much better and cheaper solution is to get a Lee Factory Crimp Die for that chambering. It is capable of adjustment such that it will put a good crimp in any brass/bullet combination.

Alternately, you could get a Hornady .500 S&W Magnum Taper Crimp Die, and just put a taper crimp on those rounds. If you use that option, I would suggest only loading one round in the cylinder at a time. The recoil/setback is so severe, especially in stoutly loaded rounds, that the subsequent bullets will start to walk out of the cylinder, eventually causing the cylinder to get locked up.

Unless you are going to be swaging bullets in the future, save $$$, and go with the Lee option.

I use the CH4D tool a LOT in making .500 S&W Magnum bullets from 45 acp brass cases.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?134219-500-bullet-from-45-ACP

P1060603.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the ch4d didn't go to 1/2". I thought it stated 480 max? I looked at the money spent on the cannelure tool added it to the bullet price and it will pay for itself in 300 rounds (Corbin) after that then I would really be saving. The lee site doesn't list a 500 FC die anymore?
That's pretty cool bullet your making out of 45 brass. Do you have a swaging tool that crimps the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think I'd be tempted to sell them to someone that wants to load .50 Beowulf and use the money to buy proper .500 bullets.

Eddiecoyle, you mentioned that in our pm's but I'm not sure why you think they are not 500 bullets? I have shot these in Winchester factory loads in 500?

The factory has access to powders that we can't get, and can do things with their process that we can't do with our reloading dies. I've loaded .500 bullets without a cannelure. Speers, not Winchesters though.

I like to load full-house loads, and that usually means using a slower powder like H110/W296, Lil' Gun, etc. At least in a revolver, these powders require a strong roll crimp in order to burn consistently. When I used them with the non-cannelure bullets, velocity was much less consistent than what I'm used to getting with cannelured bullets. I stopped when I got one of those weird 'yellow-powder' H110 squibs. Again, this was in a revolver. You might get better results in your contender.

You can also try a faster powder. Alliant has Power Pistol data, and Hodgdon has data for Titegroup in the .500. Neither of these powders require a strong crimp to burn right, but they're lighter charges. For example, Hodgdon has a Titegroup load for a 400gr Sierra JSP. The max charge weight is 17.5 grains, for a velocity of 1335 fps. The max H110 load for the same bullet is 40.0 grains, and the velocity is 1721 fps.

In addition to the lower velocity, the velocity tends to be not as consistent when loading a small charge in a big case because powder is position sensitive (even Titegroup). The velocity will change depending on how the powder is laying in the case when the primer ignites.

You can use your roll crimp die on them, just go easy with it. If you set it right, you'll flatten out the bell and apply sort of a taper crimp. Experiment a little with a dummy round and you'll see what I mean. Seat a bullet into a sized/expanded case, loosen up the crimping die, run the case all the way up into the loose die, and crank the die down by hand until you feel it hit the case mouth. Keep cranking it down by hand little-by-little while removing case to check the crimp. When it looks right, try another and adjust from there.

Experiment a bit with it, and you might find something that works for you. I only had a few hundred bullets so I didn't spend a lot of time on it (I ended up trading with a .50 Beowulf guy for some cannelured bullets he had).

I don't know how many bullets you have, how much you paid for them, and how much .500 you shoot, but that cannelure tool is $100, it introduces a time-consuming bullet prep step, and the resulting bullets may or may not shoot well when you're done with them. I don't know one way or the other as I've not tried it.

Last edited:
at $.30/piece i grabbed 300 to start ( supplier says he has a pallet full), for my hunting loads i was using XPB's (at over $1/piece, when i could find them), for range loads i was using 440 FNLGC ($.60/each). i don't cast my own( had some lead blow up in my face as a young man, with 3rd degree burns and having to have pieces picked off my eyeball= not fun). The cannelure tool i look at as another cool tool to use not only to prep these JHP, but to use on other future projects ( like making those cool 45 cases into 500 bullets?) or maybe i'll cannelure the brass for the 460 rowland to make it super easy to id ?

thanks Jim for your advise, i appreciate it. i am going to spend a little more for the corbin tool, as from the other forums i have read it looks like it will be worth the extra dough.

Tool finally arrived. Dave had to shut down for a few weeks because of a family emergency.
Quickly I read the instructions and set up the tool (did not screw it to bench yet) ran a couple bullets and was surprised how easy it worked.
7ehy2ane.jpg
7a6y9agu.jpg
5yju8eju.jpg
egupyre9.jpg

With no exact data for handloads on this particular bullet ,Winchester platinum 400grain JHP, I moved the cannelure closer to the base for a longer/safer OAL. I put the cannelure center at .45 ( overall bullet length is .90). Will set this up this weekend on my bench and run the rest of the bullets

Back
Top Bottom