Anyone good at soldering SMT? (nothing fancy needed)

drgrant

NES Member
Basically I have an IC2820H that is languishing doing nothing only because of one reason.... the transmit audio sucks on it.

There are some mods floating around that involve removing a cap and soldering a bypass cap in place. I have enough ability to remove the cap but I don't trust myself with the iron enough to put a new one in place....

http://www.worldwidedx.com/icom/58692-icom-ic-2820-tx-audio-modification.html

Any of you guys want to take this on, for a case of your favorite brew, or some cash, let me know...

-Mike

Mike I have a SMT rework station that I bought for a project and has been sitting in my basement unused since..... You are welcome to it if you want it....

Basically I have an IC2820H that is languishing doing nothing only because of one reason.... the transmit audio sucks on it.

There are some mods floating around that involve removing a cap and soldering a bypass cap in place. I have enough ability to remove the cap but I don't trust myself with the iron enough to put a new one in place....

http://www.worldwidedx.com/icom/58692-icom-ic-2820-tx-audio-modification.html

Any of you guys want to take this on, for a case of your favorite brew, or some cash, let me know...

-Mike

Mike,

I am a pretty good solderer. I have my own "third hand" (any good solderer should own one - and know what I mean!) and a micro-fine tip. I have ripped diodes and caps from Sony equipment to replace them. Let me know if I can help you out.

-g-

BTW, crackling and poor audio is usually the sign of a leaking capacitor. I used to replace the 1F caps in our old Merlin II, although you could not find a schematic anywhere.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I replaced so many 1F caps I should have had a degree in it. :)

In thinking about it, they were 2200 uF caps (the Merlin DID have 1F caps though) but the process is the same. I just need some "angel hair solder." I have thicker solder used for electrical wiring, angel hair is better for electronic soldering as it does not need to be "cooked" as much.

Mike,

I am a pretty good solderer. I have my own "third hand" (any good solderer should own one - and know what I mean!) and a micro-fine tip. I have ripped diodes and caps from Sony equipment to replace them. Let me know if I can help you out.

-g-

BTW, crackling and poor audio is usually the sign of a leaking capacitor. I used to replace the 1F caps in our old Merlin II, although you could not find a schematic anywhere.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I replaced so many 1F caps I should have had a degree in it. :)

Yeah, this is just a problem endemic to this particular model of radio... every 2820H sounds "meh". It's one of those "why did they do it this way?" problems. [laugh]

In thinking about it, they were 2200 uF caps (the Merlin DID have 1F caps though) but the process is the same. I just need some "angel hair solder." I have thicker solder used for electrical wiring, angel hair is better for electronic soldering as it does not need to be "cooked" as much.

What gauge do you need? I can look through my stash... I think right now the thinnest I have is .062, but I know they make it
thinner than that even.

-Mike

I'm actually really good at this but I now longer have access to a rework station. If anybody has a station I could use, I'm up for it

You shouldn't need anything more than a decent soldering iron to take care of that. Get a leaded 10uF cap (not SMD), solder one to the mic input pad since its huge, then position the second one to the tiny pad and a spot of solder solves your problem.

Also wondering why C619 wasn't pulled to isolate the input of the HPF.

Back
Top Bottom