Anyone ever get a welcome msg sent to them?

edin508

NES Member
When I got home from work today there was a msg. on my home phone to give this guy a call, he was a HAM operator and had a msg. for me. I was like WTF, and how did he get my number? Must have used 411 I guess, so I called to see what it was about. I guess there is a msg. service, voluntary type thing, where someone can leave you a msg. and then someone else will contact you with the msg. sent. Thought it was neat, it was just a welcome msg. from someone welcoming me to the world of HAM radio from Pasidina California (K6HTN). I looked her up and I guess she does this a lot for new HAM's when she sees their name show up on the FCC database according to her profile on QRZ. Thought it was nice, and kinda weird too.

Naw, it was a relayed msg. from some older guy, he just read the msg. that was sent to me. And the pic on her profile, lets just say she looks like a nice old lady.

it takes a day or 2 sometimes. i used it to send a mesaage to my daughter one time whan she was outta state just for fun. the last real bad hurricane i made contact with a ham down south running a generator when everything was out, power,cell phones. he gave me his daughter's phone # in boston so i could call her and and let her know all was OK. she was super happy and relieved. in emergencies us ham's are all you got for communications.... we helped the local cops and ambulance service when all was lost in our last bad snow storm.

Yup, i got a few when I first got my license. I think there are people who monitor the FCC list and send a message to everyone who gets a new license.
I got 2 or 3 the first week or so.
There is a net that runs on the Paxton repeater that transfers this traffic. It is sort of cryptic. I asked one of the guys at the Ham club meeting about it and he said it was more or less used to prove a radio message could be relayed to a land line.

Last edited:
Ya I received one in the mail from Kate, then a msg at my ex's. The msg was from a ham in Southbridge. I haven't lived there since 1990.

I got the same thing when I got my ticket. Very friendly grandfather type. He's a member of the NTS (national traffic system). It sounded like he might have been trying to sell me on joining the NTS, but if so, it was such a soft sell I couldn't be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

tell her to send pictures [smile]

From her QRZ.com page:
QSL: SEND ME A CARD & I'LL SEND YOU ONE

Not hot.

I got one when I got my technician and then again when I got my general. Both times I got a call from the same Ham and when i asked him about the messages, he said they were a way for people to keep their skills up. One was from someone in Germany, I think. Kind of cool, but also a bit creepy.

Back
Top Bottom