any .22 milsurps?

Sent the paperwork for the C&R FFL a couple of days ago. Im looking to get another SKS(Yugo) and a Mosin Nagant, but also was wondering if there was any C&R .22 rifles. Just looking for something with history and character and that is fun to plink with.

Also what are the best distributers to order from?

thanks

Some 22cal C&R milsurps are Enfield trainers and Mosin Nagant trainers. The Enfield ones are pricey and the Nagant ones aren't too bad in price, but both are hard to come by.
A non C&R 22 that is fun and fairly cheap is the Romanian M69 trainer. If you can find one with a wide machining base you can get scope rings for it and scope it for some great accuracy.

Heres a shot of the wide machining base on the rifle on the left.

53775a75.jpg

I love these rifles so much I have 3 of em. Only bad thing is some of them are finicky when it comes to feeding and need some work, and the bolt is pretty hard to take apart for cleaning.

c1a9809b.jpg

I have an old husqvarna single shot, bolt action, hexagon barreled 22lr rifle that i purchased a few years ago. These can still be found around for sale too.

I have several .22 rifles which are US Property marked. One is a Mossberg Model 44 US and the other is a Stevens Model 416 X-Barrel, both really nice rifles. I also have a Mossberg Model 44 US(a) which has "USMA 110" imprinted on both the barrel and the stock.

I have handled a Pre WWII Mauser 22 trainer which was pretty cool. It was not inexpensive (sold for over $300), but cool.

BTW, any firearm manufactured more than 50 years ago qualifies as a C&R, so if your interests extend to more than milsurps, you may want to look at older rifles as well.

Mark

Don't forget the CMP. Last time I checked, it still had the Kimber .22s that the Army ordered and - surprise! - never used.

Our tax dollars at work.............

mcornell said:
I have handled a Pre WWII Mauser 22 trainer which was pretty cool. It was not inexpensive (sold for over $300), but cool.

BTW, any firearm manufactured more than 50 years ago qualifies as a C&R, so if your interests extend to more than milsurps, you may want to look at older rifles as well.

Mark

Try ordering the Heym trainers on your C&R license. Most places won't accept them as C&R eligible and these old rifles were used to train the Hitler Youth. I'm pretty sure they were made in the 30s.

any .22 Millies???

I Dont think that these are considerd ( Milsurps ) or are thay??? would any
.22 Cal rifle (Marked U.S.) be considerd one, since at one time thay were
the property of the U.S. Gov,t????? I Just orderd a H & R, M-12 from the
C.M.P. Two weeks ago for $225.00 and a few days Later i picked up a
Remington 40X Marked U.S. Property so i dont think thay are in the C&R
category, but maybe the millsurp Category?? anyone got a comment on
this?? JJ where are you? by the way those M-12s from the C.M.P. are
one great buy and thay only had 300 when thay started to sell them about
18months ago i got an E-Mail from them that said dont check on your order
for at least 21 Days. So thay must be real busy!! i guese alot of people BUG them!! i just wait for the Fed-X Fairy to show up!! NUFF-Said
Take Care Sheriff Dudley s.a.s.s.17925

.22 "Milsurps" are an interesting category of collectable firearms. The United States, and probably many other countries, used these as trainers and competition firearms and there are many which are still fine shooters.

There is a book by Thomas D. Batha, U.S. Martial .22RF Rifles which covers many of the more common collectable .22 rifles. It used to be that you could find many of these for reasonable prices but, like anything else, the prices seem to be climbing steeply.

I'd say they're milsurps. Take the Cooey model 82 rifle I have. It was used by the Canadian military to train soldiers with cheap 22 ammo. Same goes for the US Property marked ones like Kimbers, Mossbergs, and even some Savage rifles, plus there are more. Some people collect only trainer rifles and most are harder to come by than the real thing the soldier wound up shooting once he completed training. Just try and find a 22cal Swiss straight pull trainer these days. I've only seen a picture of one.

Back
Top Bottom