Antarctica on 20m JT9-65

quincy

NES Member
For the past few days I've seen DP1POL on 20m around 14.078 in JT9 mode. Good signals into all lower 48 states. Best time is about 2-3 hours before and after local sunset. I don't have a good antenna so he's out of my range. Until I put up something outside for 20m, I'm SOL. [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

9790fb5e9b04115e227654f625ad3c71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Have you tried setting up a WSPR beacon on low power just for the hell of it? I do that every once in a while and just let it run for about a 24 hour period and have spotted reports all over the place. I'm running a Chameleon Emcomm II strung horizontal about 15' above the ground. Wish I had room for a better setup but this works ok.

Have you given them a try? Remember the old adage "if you can hear them you can work them". With my 63' end fed half wave wire (similar to LNR Precision's EFHW) I've worked Antarctica several times with 30W CW and once with 3W CW.

I haven't tried WSPR yet except to listen for first time tonight. Need an outdoor antenna, which I should have set up this weekend for 40m. If it works, I'll set it up for 20 and 15. Very limited because I'm in a condo and only have balcony to work with. But, it's 100 ft up facing SSE to NNW. Europe is hidden behind the bulk of building to E. Building is a perfect RF shield made of sheet rock, brick and steel.

Have you given them a try? Remember the old adage "if you can hear them you can work them". With my 63' end fed half wave wire (similar to LNR Precision's EFHW) I've worked Antarctica several times with 30W CW and once with 3W CW.

I've had success on 15 out to west coast and Puerto Rico and limited success from 80-30m. If I could get permission to put a wire on roof, I would be happy. Live in 8 story condo on 7th floor. It would be up about 120ft.

Back
Top Bottom