Another "What if" question

Say a husband and wife both have a LTC and one gets denied renewal or suspended for some reason. Can the guns in the house stay as the second resident still has a LTC?

My recollection (don't have the laws right in front of me) is yes. They're supposed to be surrendered to the police, but can then be transferred to a dealer of the owner's choice or to any other properly licensed person, which would include the licensed spouse. Some PD's might insist on taking the firearms, getting a written statement from the owner requesting their transfer, checking the spouse's license, and generally making as big, awkward and expensive production as possible; others might simply allow the spouse to take immediate possession. It all depends on the department and the situation.

Ken

Only those firearms and ammunition "owned" by the revoked or suspended owner are to be surrendered but rarely can anyone prove what someone owns. That's why you may hear of all the firearms being confiscated/surrendered. Remember the "How long should I keep my FA-10 thread?" And thankfully, no one I know of has used the CJIS database to establish what someone is said to own.
There is nothing stopping the owner from legally transferring those firearms to any properly licensed person including the spouse or any other household member.
Personally, I have never run across revoking all of families FID/LTCs because one family member was revoked or suspended.

Back
Top Bottom