Another M1 garand bullet poll

Which bullet for 308 M1 garand for next match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mac1911

NES Member
So I need to load up some rounds for the 308M1 garand.
I was hoping to have a M1a to play with by the April 22 match but that's not looking good.
So as I resize some 308 I look at bullet choice I will let UzGuzs decide.
I will let in run until April 1st .
So vote for bullet size and powder please.

I will be loading to middle of data for any of the powders. Nothing crazy. I load garand food to cycle 100% and only shoot to 200 yards so full power loads are not needed.

Looks like most want me to face more recoil...
The 110s might have to go through the 30-06 garand

I voted 155's with Varget because I want to see how accurate it is (or is not) before I try it :D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your success if that ends up being the load to be determined...because I have an even 1000 of them sitting on a shelf downstairs just screaming to be pushed through an M14 barrel :D

110's and 8208 because they seem to be the biggest unknowns. VERY curious how the 110's will run in a semi.

I plan to run 110's sometime in a total poo-say bolt gun load, but will first try Brian's 2520 loads that he swears by for Camp Perry, etc.

Dakar, I have your jars of 2520 to return sometime. I had a couple jars deliver before I could start loading, so your will come back unopened. Thanks again for the bail out in case I could not get any.

110s can be ran very light in a bolt gun.
I did a test last year with the 110s in 06 M1 they did fine. At the time I reserved the 110s for the K31. I stocked deep. On all the specials Nosler ran last year and have a good supply

Yeah, planning to run the 110's in the 03 and they will be coming out the muzzle with the authority of a spitwad.

those 168 Hdy ELD's are rather awesome!
I don’t think they are going to help me that much more in the garand at 200 yards
Especially at 2x the cost. Be really nice if would shrink my groups 2x though.
I wonder if the throat on my garand in 308 would handle the ogive on the ELD?

Hey, I think you stuffed the ballot box. :p

I can't really say anything, as I'll probably bring factory loads for the first time in a long time.

spring cold right on cue and if I keep feeling this bad and lazy good chance I might run some factory stuff for 06

With now only 75 rounds through the M1 308 I pretty happy how the 168s shot. I need to focus on off hand to give my scores a chance.

Did you really load 110 grain .30 caliber in 30.06? Did I understand that correctly? I have been shooting Service Rifle competition for 34 years, and never seen that load. Not that it can’t be done, but why bother when you get such better results with 168 grain, or 170. Not trying to be a smart a#$@ here, just surprised.

Did you really load 110 grain .30 caliber in 30.06? Did I understand that correctly? I have been shooting Service Rifle competition for 34 years, and never seen that load. Not that it can’t be done, but why bother when you get such better results with 168 grain, or 170. Not trying to be a smart a#$@ here, just surprised.
Cmp games are only shot at 200 yards so the light bullets are fine. The recoil reduction is nice. might have been me but the 110s did not group as well for me in the 06 garand as they did in the 03a3. I will shoot light bullets over heavy ones at 200 yards and in. Although there is not much of a cost savings so I only buy them if they are on sale.
I also run cast through my garand and once I find time to sort out the load i will use those in 200 yard matches also.
If I where to shoot my M1 XTC I would probably shoot lapua 30cals. The creedmoor stuff does very well in my 30 cals .
Some day I will run my garand XTC but will use heavy and faster loads.

Back
Top Bottom