Another FN1930 Short Rifle, Chinese Mauser

German Mausers don't seem to find me, but somehow the Chinese Mausers do.

I had been eying this FN1930 (Fabrique Nationale) model at a local shop for well over a year, and the $375 price tag kept me away. But finally, I put it together with an Arisaka, and the shop owner caved. I walked out with both for $400, putting about two-fifty into the somewhat uncommon FN 1930.

Even though at least 165,000 of these Belgian-made 8mm Mausers made their way to China from 1937-1939 (Robert W.D. Ball), very few seem to surface around the forums, here in the U.S.

fn1930B_001.jpg

fn1930B_002.jpg

It's in considerably better condition than my 1938 dated example, but still has scattered pitting, about 80% bluing, dings, scrapes, and a missing front band. But the bore is amazingly shiny for a Chinese Mauser, with moderately dark rifling that doesn't shred patches. It might even shoot out.

Bolt is not matching, even to itself, but at least it's an FN part with the teardrop knob. The "Keep and Utilize" stock brand is a little worn off, but plenty legible. Overall, the walnut stock is solid. If I do decide to shoot it, I'll have to get inside to remove a thick layer of pasty grease before inspecting. Outwardly, it shows no signs of damage.

Belgian proofs on the barrel (not pictured) and receiver ring, and the "FAB.NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE, HERSTAL BELGIQUE" are well stamped. And the large, stylized FN logo is always pleasing to see. Nice little short rifle with some honest handling and experience, I'm sure.

More pics, and thanks for looking.

fn1930B_003.jpg

fn1930B_004.jpg

fn1930B_007.jpg

fn1930B_008.jpg

fn1930B_009.jpg

fn1930B_010.jpg

fn1930B_011.jpg

fn1930B_012.jpg

fn1930B_013.jpg

fn1930B_015.jpg

fn1930B_006.jpg

fn1930B_002.jpg

fn1930B_001.jpg

Hey buddy if you keep this up your going to hurt yourself ...only kidding, nice find. I am on a 1911 buying spree lately and none are surplus so I have been not posting any recent surplus finds.
I am heading out to the CMP next week to pick up a couple Garands. Its great being retired :)

Nice pickup. If you look past the dings and grime you see a very pretty, high quality pre-war Mauser.

I wonder what that rifle saw.

Do most of these Chinese Mausers come back directly from the PRC or via Taiwan?

Nice pickup. If you look past the dings and grime you see a very pretty, high quality pre-war Mauser.

I wonder what that rifle saw.

Do most of these Chinese Mausers come back directly from the PRC or via Taiwan?

I'm not sure when these arrived in the US. But if any came in to the country after the Clinton ban of firearms from Russia or China in 1993, they would surely have to have come from another country.

Back
Top Bottom