Another Chinese T53

Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I was browsing the major C&R dealer websites just now, and found one that is selling Chinese T53's (Mosin Nagant M44 clones) for $119.

I bought one of these a few months back, and it has turned into one of our favorite shooters. For $138 delivered to my house, I couldn't resist trying my luck on another one.

I'll put up some pictures of the new one when it arrives. It might even be a candidate for my first bubba project.

That's cheap. I'll have to search the usual online sources and grab one. At that price why not.

My m44 is my favorite shooter. I have three 91/30s and really debating selling two of them. Couldnt even tell you the last time I shot them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Don't do it. Its a crap shoot. The gunshows are starting up again, and also check out other forum, I just picked up a pristine Russian for $200 .

If you buy one you will most likely need a new stock, another $49 bucks, then if the bore is shot out , well you have a good parts rifle.
I would suggest you go to a shop that has some in stock. You can look them over and know exactly what your getting yourselves into. Just MHO.

Don't do it. Its a crap shoot. The gunshows are starting up again, and also check out other forum, I just picked up a pristine Russian for $200 .

If you buy one you will most likely need a new stock, another $49 bucks, then if the bore is shot out , well you have a good parts rifle.
I would suggest you go to a shop that has some in stock. You can look them over and know exactly what your getting yourselves into. Just MHO.

I do appreciate the advice. I realize that it is a gamble. My first one was actually in pretty good shape and shoots great. I am prepared for the worst with this second one.

I hate that don't you and to boot just as you get home you see the brown truck leaving the house and on the door is the little yellow sticky with the "sorry we missed you".....[crying]
I have been at home, heard the door bell ran from one room to the front door and the UPS driver had to have sprinted to his truck to get it started. I jumped in my car and chased that SOB to his next stop. After waiting almost 8 days I wasn't letting that go.

I would have sold you mine, it's not in bad shape.

Attachments

• DSCN1878.jpg
    DSCN1878.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN1879.jpg
    DSCN1879.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN1880.jpg
    DSCN1880.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1881.jpg
    DSCN1881.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1882.jpg
    DSCN1882.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1883.jpg
    DSCN1883.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 37
I hate that don't you and to boot just as you get home you see the brown truck leaving the house and on the door is the little yellow sticky with the "sorry we missed you".....[crying]
I have been at home, heard the door bell ran from one room to the front door and the UPS driver had to have sprinted to his truck to get it started. I jumped in my car and chased that SOB to his next stop. After waiting almost 8 days I wasn't letting that go.

My UPS guy usually comes around 6pm and I am usually there. The last time I wasn't, he let my 13 year old daughter sign for me.

I got the same deal as mclina. It was in good shape and the stock was solid, but a little banged up. Once cleaned up It looked pretty good.

It has arrived. Here are some pictures as it came out of the box. The stock is solid, but it's got some crazy markings on it. I don't know what somebody did drilling all those holes in the left side.

The bore looks decent. I certainly won't feel guilty making this a project gun.

The only weird thing is that there doesn't seem to be any cosmoline on it. It is dry as a bone.

Chinese T53 004.jpg Chinese T53 005.jpg Chinese T53 006.jpg Chinese T53 007.jpg Chinese T53 008.jpg Chinese T53 009.jpg Chinese T53 003.jpg Chinese T53 001.jpg Chinese T53 002.jpg

Bore 004.jpg

I don't know how well it comes across in the pictures, but this thing has the nicest bore of any of my Mosins. Overall, the metal parts of this gun are in great shape.

The stock is a horror show. The upper hand guard is made from a different wood than the rest.

There was a bunch of cosmo under the barrel. Somebody had apparently cleaned this thing up without ever disassembling it.

Time to call Royal Tiger and buy a nice Laminated stock for it, or a hard wood..[wink]

That is one option that I am considering. I am also wondering what it would look like with the existing stock stripped, filled, and painted flat black. I'll probably buy a stock from Royal Tiger anyway, before they are sold out.

That is one option that I am considering. I am also wondering what it would look like with the existing stock stripped, filled, and painted flat black. I'll probably buy a stock from Royal Tiger anyway, before they are sold out.

OH NO don't do that....it will take to much time and the stocks that I purchased were really nice. Give Lynn a call at Royal Tiger and say I told you to call. They have given me some great deals!!!

I spent some time last night and today working on this thing. The purists may cringe, but this thing was really not a collectors piece. None of the numbers match, and the stock was a total piece of crap.

I stripped down the wood, sanded it down to 1000 grit, gave it two coats of ebony stain and two coats of shellac. I also put some white paint on the receiver markings.

I'm really happy with the way it looks now. I thought about a new stock, but it really didn't seem worth $50+ shipping for a new stock for this gun. Especially since a Russian stock wouldn't have been any more historically correct than my bubba refinish job.

Chinese T53 001.jpg Chinese T53 003.jpg Chinese T53 006.jpg Chinese T53 008.jpg Chinese T53 009.jpg

I finally got a chance to stop by Collectors in Merrimack, NH yesterday. I was there to pick up a case of Golden Tiger 7.62x39, and I checked out some of their rifles.

They have two Type 53s on the rack, both of which look like they were just dug up out of the ground. They are tagged at $200 each.

Back
Top Bottom