Announcing the 2009 S&W IDPA Indoor National Championship

Greetings 2007 S&W IDPA Indoor National Competitors.

To clarify a few last minute match preparation items, below are responses to several questions posed over the last few days.

1) Only a hand held flashlight will be permitted for use on flashlight-required stages. A hand held flashlight is one that is held in, on or by your hand. Barring any mechanical malfunctions, you will be required to use the same flashlight and flashlight configuration throughout the entire match. A hand held flashlight will be required to start and stay in variety of positions and conditions during portions of certain stages. You may use your hand held flashlight for flashlight optional stages.

2) You must use the same sight system throughout the match. Sights that are illuminated on one or some stages and not others are not considered the same sight system. Consistent with IDPA HQs position on luminous paints, polymers and sight systems, you will not be permitted to change sight systems nor charge luminous paints or polymers with a flashlight or other energy source during the match. Illuminating sights will not be permitted in the “load and make ready” procedure and you will not be permitted to illuminate any sight system with anything other than ambient lighting conditions while the gun is holstered on your person. A sight system check is part of the Equipment/Chronograph stage and will be performed on at a least one low light and flashlight stage for all competitors. Your sight system must be the same every time it is checked to avoid an FTDR penalty. If your primary firearm breaks, you may use the sight system on your back-up.

In summary, the same sight system and flashlight/flashlight configuration must be used throughout the match.

I hope this clarifies any ambiguities in previously provided information or interpretations. I regret the length of the description, but recent questions and discussions necessitate this degree of clarity.

On a lighter note – the weather forecast indicates it may be sunny (outside) and in the high 60s (inside) for part of the week.

See you soon and Best Regards,

Craig

I have always carried 2 lights. Both in the same pocket one is smaller. Allowed or not? Since the time Rick "D" dropped and kicked his light I have done it with no problem but due to above I thought I would ask.

Only difference is one light is one cell other is 2

Can the flashlight be hung by a lanyard around the neck?

I have never seen that allowed but see also #1

See Rule book page 11 E2

From past experience, lights must be in a holder on the belt, on a clip on the belt, or in a pocket clipped as designed. Other than being a competitor, I have nothing to do with the match so wait for Craig.

Last edited:
A hand held flashlight is one that is held in, on or by your hand.

All equipment must be concealed to start.

Craig

Please clarify if you are implying that the flashlight and holder must be concealed for this match.

I thought that this was addressed by IDPA and the intent of the rule only refers to your firearm and mags for concealment.

Back
Top Bottom