Animal shootings

This thread has a 20 foot gut pile. Cut it's head off before I get more neg rep. Lol

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I had a similar situation happen to me the other day. Was driving my wife's car with her in it, and we came upon a squirrel that was run over by a car. It wasn't quite dead yet and was still writhing around a little.. you know, as best it could with half it's body squished. I was going to just aim for the head to finish the job, but my wife freaked out about it. I thought it was because she didn't want the stink on the tires, but it turns out she didn't like the prospect of me running over a squirrel on purpose.

but it's the right thing to do.

This was at a match in Vermont - stupid turtle kept crawling right out to the middle of the stage and had bullets whizzing over him. This was the 3rd time he was removed. After that, we said, the hell with it, he's on his own and the Vermont guys were taking dibs on who got to take him home for soup.

Ugly sucker. Serious looking jaws. He really wanted a piece of that leg!

IMG_3750.jpg

OK, today I noticed a snapping turtle on the side of the road. Something wasn't right, as I drove by. I turned around and went back. That's when I noticed that whole back half of the turtle was, essentially, blown out. Some jackass hit the thing and kept going, leaving the snapper in the middle of the road (because it was apparently not enough of an impact to notice?)[angry]

I put my car in the way...enough to keep folks from this turtle and called my local dept. There wasn't enough left of the turtle to save, sadly. Shell was split all the way from stem to stern, pcs were strewn 15-20 feet downwind of the "hit", jaw was smashed in several pcs (part of it was sticking out of its head), etc, you get the idea. And the damn thing was still trying to get to the river....

With Mass laws the way they are, confusing at best, would I have been arrested if I put a round in its head? I would be "discharging" a firearm right on the road. Sadly, this is the third time this year that I've come upon hit-n-run animals.

To be clear, I did take a snapshot of what was left before my locals shot it, so it's clear there wasn't anything anybody could've done.

As it stands, my locals put one in its head.

I REALLY cant beleive your local PD came out and shot a half dead snapping turtle...

I have nothing against them, and even "gave $hit" to one of my guys who was basicly afraid to move a big one out of the road a few nights ago... but even if that one got hit I sure as hell would not have let him to shoot it...Tire iron maybe...

They are snapping turtles, like squirels there are plenty of them and when they end up on the street sometimes they loose...

PS. A couple years ago I was working the phones and got a 911 call reporting a snapping turtle crossing the road...was that you???

PPS. (Ive never looked) but I know of no MGL regarding "hit and run" of such animals...

I REALLY cant beleive your local PD came out and shot a half dead snapping turtle...

I have nothing against them, and even "gave $hit" to one of my guys who was basicly afraid to move a big one out of the road a few nights ago... but even if that one got hit I sure as hell would not have let him to shoot it...Tire iron maybe...

They are snapping turtles, like squirels there are plenty of them and when they end up on the street sometimes they loose...

PS. A couple years ago I was working the phones and got a 911 call reporting a snapping turtle crossing the road...was that you???

PPS. (Ive never looked) but I know of no MGL regarding "hit and run" of such animals...
Snapper.jpg
God, I love people like you. All bluster, nothing else. Here's the pic of the animal in question folks. The goddam shell was 2' long and about a foot and a half wide. It took two of us (myself and the cop) to pick it up, and wow, move it off the road to shoot it....off the asphalt so there was no ricochet (idiots who thought to shoot in the road need to get retested).

You know why I called the cops? Because I was going to shoot it, and no, I didn't have a damn knife on me that day, suck ass for the turtle in question. I didn't want a jackass like securityboy pulling up and pulling his gun on me and shooting me dead because I shot a turtle.

Being born in alaska, we eat what we shoot, which is a goddam lot better than what some folks do.

wow really? neg rep and I'm a jackass because I like most of the other posters here are surprised your local PD came out to shoot a turtle...And somehow from that you think I'm going to shoot you for shooting a turtle??? Not following you guy...[thinking]

PS. I have personally thrown more than one "save-able" critter into the back of my truck and driven them to the local wildlife hospital, when the ACO's couldn't/wouldn't come out...but shooting a road kill turtle just isn't going to happen on my shift...

Last edited:
Name's Joe, not "guy"...I'm not afraid of sharing my real name....boy. I don't hide behind screennames....first or last...in case you were too ignorant to notice....boy

Guess I should be happy you're a 911 operator and not someone who actually has the ability to pull a trigger. Take a call like a nice desk jockey, bark accordingly, transfer accordingly, and punch out after 8hrs. I guess I should congratulate you....boy. You earned your stripe..good job. Only reason I didn't shoot the turtle on the spot was because I was worried you'd get the call, and call down SWAT on me, and hide behind Martha as your protector [rolleyes]

Now, in my town, the cops and the chief actually like animals (even better, they like us, and they show it...daily). We get along. My neighbor has a few hundred head of cow, the other...pigs. Down the road is the river....and wouldn't you guess it...turtles, of all colors and sizes. If something happens and the locals can't "finish" accordingly, we contact the police. And you know what? They're willing to help us, for good or bad, whatever the finish is...it's what it means to live with folks, we work together. Guess that's a shocker to you, eh.....boy?

I'll give my answer or opinion. I dont live up there, I live in Oklahoma where I am a sworn Police Officer, we do get calls every once in awhile for a similar situation. I personally would not have shot that turtle. I would have killed it, but it would be with a knife, I am not putting the officer who shot it down, I just think it is overkill. If I come across a dead animal on the road I call dispatch, and they send out the people to remove it. The only time I will do anything other than call it in, is if it is a dead deer, cow, horse, etc. Then I just block traffic so nobody hits it until the animal control arrives.

It would NOT be a good idea to shoot on a public roadway, first reason is it is illegal to shoot on a public roadway in every state. Also because if I am just happen to drive by and see you with your gun out., you would be held at gun point until I got backup. If an officer calls out a 10-32(man with gun) every officer that is not on a call will show up

Every town is MA is required to have an Animal Control Officer. In some towns it's a particular cop or selectman. I'm one in my town and the neighboring town. They would have dispatched one of us.

I would have either taken it to the vet if it was during business hours and had it put down or simply would have moved it to a secluded area and shot it (my preferred method).

Oh, all of you getting all wound up over the fact that the OP actually stopped, have some humanity! It's a living creature that doesn't deserve to be in that much pain.

Every town is MA is required to have an Animal Control Officer. In some towns it's a particular cop or selectman. I'm one in my town and the neighboring town. They would have dispatched one of us.

I would have either taken it to the vet if it was during business hours and had it put down or simply would have moved it to a secluded area and shot it (my preferred method).

Oh, all of you getting all wound up over the fact that the OP actually stopped, have some humanity! It's a living creature that doesn't deserve to be in that much pain.

required by what? i've been told pointblank by a certain MA town's PD dispatch that they had no animal control officer.

required by what? i've been told pointblank by a certain MA town's PD dispatch that they had no animal control officer.

In my experience, dispatchers don't always know everything.

MGL Chapter 140 section 151
§ 151. Dog officers; reimbursement of cities and towns for services; contracts with corporation to perform duties of officers; turning over or sale of animals; penalty

The mayor of each city and the board of selectmen of each town shall annually on May first designate one or more dog officers, who may be police officers or constables and who, except as herein provided, shall hold office for one year or until their successors are qualified. The mayor or board of selectmen shall forthwith submit to the county commissioners the names and address of such officers. Except as hereinafter otherwise provided, if any city or town shall fail to make such appointment, the county commissioners shall on June first thereafter appoint a dog officer for such city or town. Any dog officer who fails to comply with the terms of his warrant shall forthwith be removed from office by the mayor or board of selectmen, and notice of such removal shall forthwith be given to the county commissioners. Dog officers, other than those employed under regular pay, shall receive from the treasurers of their respective cities and towns two dollars for each dog killed, as provided in section one hundred and fifty-one A, in full compensation for their services; provided, however, that any dog officer shall, prior to engaging in execution of animals, have completed under the supervision of a veterinarian registered under the provisions of section fifty-five or fifty-six C of chapter one hundred and twelve a course of instruction in humane techniques for the execution of animals. Each dog officer before disposing of any dog in his possession shall check its description against the descriptions issued on dogs licensed within his city or town. Bills for such services shall be approved by the mayor of the city or the board of selectmen of the town in which said dogs are kept or killed, and in Suffolk county shall be paid out of the dog fund. Cities and towns in counties other than Suffolk shall be reimbursed by the treasurers of their respective counties from the dog fund. Each dog officer appointed under this section shall also attend to all complaints or other matters pertaining to dogs in their respective towns, in addition to the duties imposed upon him by his warrant, and shall be paid for such services by the town treasurer upon bills approved by the mayor or by the board of selectmen. The mayor of any city or the board of selectmen of any town may, instead of appointing dog officers as hereinbefore provided, enter into a contract with a domestic charitable corporation incorporated exclusively for the purpose of protecting animals from cruelty, neglect or abuse, to perform the duties required of dog officers, which contract shall, except in Suffolk county, be subject to the approval of the county commissioners. In any such case the payments to such corporation under the terms of the contract shall be in full for all services rendered by it in such capacity. Whenever in the opinion of the county commissioners the co-operation of the local dog officer with a county dog officer is necessary for the proper enforcement of sections one hundred and thirty-seven to one hundred and seventy-five, inclusive, they may require such co-operation.

No dog officer shall be a licensed animal dealer registered with the United States Department of Agriculture, and no dog officer, either privately or in the course of carrying out his official assignments as an agent for his municipality, shall give, sell, or turn over any animal which may come into his custody to any business or institution licensed or registered as a research facility or animal dealer with the United States Department of Agriculture. No municipality shall give, sell, or turn over any animal which may come into its custody to any business or institution licensed or registered as a research facility or animal dealer with the United States Department of Agriculture. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than two hundred dollars.

Last edited:
In my experience, dispatchers don't always know everything.

MGL Chapter 140 section 151
§ 151. Dog officers; reimbursement of cities and towns for services; contracts with corporation to perform duties of officers; turning over or sale of animals; penalty

The mayor of each city and the board of selectmen of each town shall annually on May first designate one or more dog officers, who may be police officers or constables and who, except as herein provided, shall hold office for one year or until their successors are qualified. The mayor or board of selectmen shall forthwith submit to the county commissioners the names and address of such officers. Except as hereinafter otherwise provided, if any city or town shall fail to make such appointment, the county commissioners shall on June first thereafter appoint a dog officer for such city or town. Any dog officer who fails to comply with the terms of his warrant shall forthwith be removed from office by the mayor or board of selectmen, and notice of such removal shall forthwith be given to the county commissioners. Dog officers, other than those employed under regular pay, shall receive from the treasurers of their respective cities and towns two dollars for each dog killed, as provided in section one hundred and fifty-one A, in full compensation for their services; provided, however, that any dog officer shall, prior to engaging in execution of animals, have completed under the supervision of a veterinarian registered under the provisions of section fifty-five or fifty-six C of chapter one hundred and twelve a course of instruction in humane techniques for the execution of animals. Each dog officer before disposing of any dog in his possession shall check its description against the descriptions issued on dogs licensed within his city or town. Bills for such services shall be approved by the mayor of the city or the board of selectmen of the town in which said dogs are kept or killed, and in Suffolk county shall be paid out of the dog fund. Cities and towns in counties other than Suffolk shall be reimbursed by the treasurers of their respective counties from the dog fund. Each dog officer appointed under this section shall also attend to all complaints or other matters pertaining to dogs in their respective towns, in addition to the duties imposed upon him by his warrant, and shall be paid for such services by the town treasurer upon bills approved by the mayor or by the board of selectmen. The mayor of any city or the board of selectmen of any town may, instead of appointing dog officers as hereinbefore provided, enter into a contract with a domestic charitable corporation incorporated exclusively for the purpose of protecting animals from cruelty, neglect or abuse, to perform the duties required of dog officers, which contract shall, except in Suffolk county, be subject to the approval of the county commissioners. In any such case the payments to such corporation under the terms of the contract shall be in full for all services rendered by it in such capacity. Whenever in the opinion of the county commissioners the co-operation of the local dog officer with a county dog officer is necessary for the proper enforcement of sections one hundred and thirty-seven to one hundred and seventy-five, inclusive, they may require such co-operation.

No dog officer shall be a licensed animal dealer registered with the United States Department of Agriculture, and no dog officer, either privately or in the course of carrying out his official assignments as an agent for his municipality, shall give, sell, or turn over any animal which may come into his custody to any business or institution licensed or registered as a research facility or animal dealer with the United States Department of Agriculture. No municipality shall give, sell, or turn over any animal which may come into its custody to any business or institution licensed or registered as a research facility or animal dealer with the United States Department of Agriculture. Whoever violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than two hundred dollars.

there is no punishment listed for not doing so, so maybe they lost theirs and didnt bother replacing him until the following year or whatever.

Joe, I think you did the right thing. I can't imagine any "outdoors person" doing anything less than wanting to end the turtle's suffering as quickly as possible. If I ate turtle soup I may have harvested him for the soup pot but short of that I would have called animal control also.

Back
Top Bottom