Ammo Shortage Over?

.40 seems to be the latest caliber to sink back into obscurity, joining .45 ACP and .357 mag.

9mm seems to be sorta making a comeback, but any other caliber is really hit or miss.
Funny, I just posted in collector's thread that I'm seeing 40 pile up where 45 is very scarce and 9 less so, but still scarce...

Saw plenty of 40S&W at collectors - same goes for 4-seasons... grabbed the last 45ACP while I was there...

Same goes for the WalMart in North Conway this weekend... 9 and 45 had wings on the boxes, but 40 was there by the case...

Oops - missed Zombi's comment to that effect - go get your "fotay" at collectors so he can make some room for 9 and 45 [laugh]

.40 seems to be the latest caliber to sink back into obscurity, joining .45 ACP and .357 mag.

9mm seems to be sorta making a comeback, but any other caliber is really hit or miss.

I've been able to get 9mm or .40 reliably from Dicks or WM from the ones near me (within 30-40 mins driving time) for the past few months. I just call ahead...someone always has it. I'm im feeling lazy, Collectors usually has something, but it hurts the wallet some...

A certain online ammo supplier (that I monitor purely to see price trends) had 1000rnd cases Centurion military contract 5.56 earlier this week for $349. That's about $100 less than peak prices so I think it's coming down.

I've been watching this thread and felt compelled to add my .02

I think there's plenty of ammo out there from private individuals. If you need ammo simply look for a private seller. This will help in three ways...

-no sales tax
-fair and reasonable prices (a leap of faith here)
-less ammo sold at retailers (which will impact supply and demand, causing prices to fall)

I know, not a cure-all but it would help

Last edited:
Plenty of 22lr out there now so it seems. [smile] At the big boxes anyways.
err, and unless you are looking for Mini Mags. [crying]

There can only be one PaulR with that many acronyms in his signature...hey Paul!

To keep this somewhat on topic, I still can't find .22lr reliably around me, Dick's Leominster got an order of golden bullet in this weekend and are already getting low, but before that had none, Walmart Leominster still has none and Blue Northern has had a small amount on and off for the past couple months, but as of the end of last week, had none. I hope you are right though and its coming back, hopefully at pre-shortage prices!

I agree most calibers are back in stock.......except 22 which is at least available frrom time to time in enough quantities that I don't mind shooting it a couple of times a month. However I have a number in my head that is a goal to be at at all times that will stay in mg lock box......in case this shittery happens again. Guns without ammo are not guns......they are overpriced clubs.

Of all the various 22lr I have shot post Newtown, only CCI and Aguilla were consistent. All others had FTFs and obvious sonic variations. So until that changes I'd say the shortage still exists...

mini-mags @ bass pro foxboro on wednesday---round nose $8.00, hp $8.50. when i left at 12:30 there were 4 boxes of hp, about a dozen round nose, couple dozen ae 50(not 40) count $2.50 and a bunch of rem subsonic

i've managed to score about 2k rounds this past week between dicks & bass pro so i say :yes--things seem to be easing---pre-panic pricing?? no!!!!!!!!!! (i was paying $30.00 for cci sv bricks @ my LGS!!!!!)

but $8.00 for minimags is $2.00 less than what dicks was selling them for over the winter. only time will tell if we're really making progress or this is just an anomaly

It also looks like Walmart doesn't carry Winchester white box any longer.. They don't have it on their website anymore for the popular calibers and I've only found what appears to be last of quantity in the 10 or so stores I've been to over the last few weeks. I did manage to buy out one of them on 380(500 rounds) which was a small victory since it seems this one store is the only within a 50 mile radius of me that seems to get stock of this caliber.

Remember in massachusetts even FFL dealers need a Ammunition storage permit. Which can be regulated by the local fire chief. I think many small shops just cant get the deals to be worth filling the shelves if they cant compete with local big stores.
Toss in a local Fire Chief who is anti gun and says "no way am I letting you store 100,000 rounds and 50 lbs of powder" .
Whats the price point on deals on the wholesale level? Is it really a manufacturing made issue ? I dont know. The Civilian Marksmenship Program was looking for 7000+ 22lr cases to fill their back order. Well no manufacture stepped up[ and said "here you go 7000 cases@ $$$ per cases. So they wait as the manufacture that the have the contract sends them a few hundred cases every few weeks.... 7000 cases of 22lr is 35 million rounds. so is the shortage over,,,,not really. Is inventory finally starting to out pace the demand. I would say a little.

I always have had a problem finding the ammo I want and the amounts I want to buy here in mass....

Plenty of 22lr out there now so it seems. [smile] At the big boxes anyways.
err, and unless you are looking for Mini Mags. [crying]

Couple of days ago, Hitman Firearms in Tyngsboro posted to their FB page that they had CCI Mini Mags. See their posting from Aug 6.
https://www.facebook.com/HitmanFirearms

Might want to give 'em a call to see if they have any. They were asking $10 for a box of 100.

It also looks like Walmart doesn't carry Winchester white box any longer.. They don't have it on their website anymore for the popular calibers and I've only found what appears to be last of quantity in the 10 or so stores I've been to over the last few weeks. I did manage to buy out one of them on 380(500 rounds) which was a small victory since it seems this one store is the only within a 50 mile radius of me that seems to get stock of this caliber.

They do. My local Walmart was stacking the shelves this morn with various WWB

Of all the various 22lr I have shot post Newtown, only CCI and Aguilla were consistent. All others had FTFs and obvious sonic variations. So until that changes I'd say the shortage still exists...
This is what I have found as well. The exception is Remington, I have had zero issues with them lately and they have been available recently. The Federal and Winchester have had an extraordinary amount of duds and weak rounds. federal actually replaced some for me no questions asked. Winchester offered to refund me on what I sent back but as much as i was having issue with the ammo I didnt want to give it up.
I have also had real good luck with the Hornaday but it is a little pricy.

I don't remember seeing Mini Mags at Riley's or Shooters Outpost (the latter had no .22 at all in fact this week). Anywhere in Southern NH that has them?

They do. My local Walmart was stacking the shelves this morn with various WWB

Well I guess thats good news.. every WalMart local to me is wiped out of all common rounds of White box and have been for a while now. I used to go on the website and search them by caliber and store but the common rounds are no longer listed on the website at all so I can't use that feature anymore to scout out the calibers I want. because of the above mentioned reasons I just assumed maybe they weren't carrying it anymore.

Well I guess thats good news.. every WalMart local to me is wiped out of all common rounds of White box and have been for a while now. I used to go on the website and search them by caliber and store but the common rounds are no longer listed on the website at all so I can't use that feature anymore to scout out the calibers I want. because of the above mentioned reasons I just assumed maybe they weren't carrying it anymore.

Yeah I gave up using the Walmart app except for looking up store ID #s. Use the SWIRE ammo app:

http://arfcomammo.azurewebsites.net/WM_ByStore.aspx?code=arfcom

Use the Walmart app to look up your local Walmart store ID and then make a username and pw on this web app^^. Works well except ignore the Federal Lightning 22 being in stock. It says it is in stock at every Walmart when it really isn't.

Yeah I gave up using the Walmart app except for looking up store ID #s. Use the SWIRE ammo app:

http://arfcomammo.azurewebsites.net/WM_ByStore.aspx?code=arfcom

Use the Walmart app to look up your local Walmart store ID and then make a username and pw on this web app^^. Works well except ignore the Federal Lightning 22 being in stock. It says it is in stock at every Walmart when it really isn't.

this, I used to use ammo can but have had much better success with swire, scored 3k .22 in last couple weeks thanks to swire

Back
Top Bottom