American Firearms School - Kids Allowed ?

Good morning guys, first post here and a relative newbie to the firearms club. I'm looking for an indoor place to bring my 14 year old until the snow clears and we can return to our local Sippican R&G club. Does anyone know the policy at American for age limits ? It is not stated on their web site. Any other recommendations for indoor ranges in SE Mass would be appreciated. Thanks !

Your best bet is to give them a call: (508) 695-5869

I would say look into becoming a member at a local club with a 24/7 indoor range. I'm a member at Taunton which has a nice indoor 24/7 range, but not sure how close it is to you. AFS has had a history with extreme novice shooters in there doing some unsafe stuff pretty often (waving muzzles around, etc) so just exercise caution if you do decide to go.

Im a member of taunton as well. They have a pretty sweet junior rifle team as well. Your 14 year old would love it.

Send me a PM if you want to check it out. I can bring my 10/22 that her/she would enjoy also.

Thanks guys good inputs, maybe I will check out American without my son to see how it is first. I am always leery of knuckleheads even at my local club.

Rick - I may take you up on that offer, very much appreciated. We have a 10/22 as well ! Taunton is about a 1/2 hour for me but it is also on my way home from work in Stoughton so it could be a convenient stop for a little de-stressing after work.

Don't quote me, but I think I emailed them last year, and was told 16 was the minimum.

either that or 18.

I called AFS once to ask what their age requirment was to bring my son he asked me how old my son was i said 10 he laighed at me and said take him out in the woods or something.

I have since shot there a few times an in all honesty I wouldn't bring my kids there. not a safe shooting environment. If your cool with your kid getting muzzled every 5 minutes and some asshat blasting away his tacticooled ar everytime you try to give your kid a pointer have at it.

Enough said...I will find another place to take my son. We were shooting outdoors every weekend until a few weeks ago but this snow has changed that. Thanks all !

either that or 18.

I called AFS once to ask what their age requirment was to bring my son he asked me how old my son was i said 10 he laighed at me and said take him out in the woods or something.

I have since shot there a few times an in all honesty I wouldn't bring my kids there. not a safe shooting environment. If your cool with your kid getting muzzled every 5 minutes and some asshat blasting away his tacticooled ar everytime you try to give your kid a pointer have at it.

We talking about the same place - AFS in North Attleboro? I've been there 1-3 times a week for a year or so and never seen anything like you describe. There's always a range officer on duty and they run a taut ship without being in your face. And yes, I see fairly young kids there a good amount of the time. My son's older than that (early 20s) and joins me there much of the time. I wouldn't have hesitated to take him with me at a younger age if I'd been going there then.

FWIW/YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom