Am I crazy for even considering selling this rifle?

There is nothing really that special about that 700 or the way it shoots, that is about average for those rifles, so go ahead and buy what you want. A 1 inch group at 100 yards with a .223 is really nothing to write home about. Those 700s are not hard to replace.

Hmmm....I've seen a lot of people shoot a lot of .223's at 100 yards and one inch groups don't seem all that common, at least at my club. Maybe our members just don't shoot very well.

I understand that most rifles are more inherrently accurate than the people shooting them.

If you shoot 10 groups of 3 shots with your .223,at 100 yards, how many are MOA?

What rifle are you using?

I understand that a stock LTR isn't a special rifle, but that doesn't matter to me.

I'm thinking about buying a Sig Sauer 556 DMR.

The only way I can justify the purchase would be to sell my Remington 700 LTR (.223) with a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24 x 50 optic mounted on it.

The issue at hand is that the LTR is RIDICULOUSLY accurate. I knew I got lucky within 6 shots, after I lapped the rings and mounted the Bushnell on it. At 100 yards, with factory American Eagle, I can drop three shots in a space the size of a quarter, and I'm no expert.

Here's a terrible cell phone picture of the rifle:

ltr.jpg

I took two co-workers to the range one day last year. Neither had ever fired a rifle before. One had never shot a gun of any kind before. After a few "warm up" shots with the LTR we decided to have a contest. We each took one shot at the same target, at 100 yards, and the furthest from the center had to buy lunch for the other two. I put a small yellow adhesive dot in the center of a silhouette target to help them concentrate on a small spot.

3guygroup.jpg

Needless to say, those two guys were hooked on target shooting immediately! I had to explain to them that THAT doesn't happen all that often.

(For the record....mine was the one inside the yellow dot.[smile] )

Keep the rifle, with practice your group sizes should be half that size maybe less.

Hmmm....I've seen a lot of people shoot a lot of .223's at 100 yards and one inch groups don't seem all that common, at least at my club. Maybe our members just don't shoot very well.

I understand that most rifles are more inherrently accurate than the people shooting them.

If you shoot 10 groups of 3 shots with your .223,at 100 yards, how many are MOA?

What rifle are you using?

I understand that a stock LTR isn't a special rifle, but that doesn't matter to me.

I don't have a .223. I used to have a 700 in .308 that shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards, as long as I did my part, out of the box with FGMM. The .223 shouldn't be too different. They're MOA guns for the most part with the ammo that they like. What I mean is that they're good rifles. But there is nothing special about the one that you are referring to. And, the point is, that since there is nothing magic about that one, and 700s are a dime a dozen, you can always pick another one up some time in the future that is going to do the same thing. No sense in holding onto it and avoiding buying something that you want more.

Back
Top Bottom