• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ak47 and compensator

got the Romanian AK47 (SAR1) made 2001.

Doesn't come with any muzzle break/compensator. I know the law states threaded barrel but what if its permanently mounted?

Am I missing something here? Is this SAR1 legal in CT because it has many US made parts? How does this get passed the AWB?

Am I missing something here? Is this SAR1 legal in CT because it has many US made parts? How does this get passed the AWB?

Back in like 2003 (i may be wrong on the date) dealers were selling AK47 "types" and about a year later CT realized that people were buying AK47s that carried a different name (like SAR1). So they updated the law to state any weapon in the 7.62x39 caliber that has interchangeable parts with the original AK47 is now banned. Those of the lucky ones like my self that bought it during this grey time period got special permits from the state granting ownership.

i had multiple opinions from several gun smiths as well as gun folks in the state whos opinion is that since its an assault weapon and i have the permit its considered preban and not subject to the CT 1994 AWB. (meaning flash hider and telestock are a go).

Forget about the name of the gun. Think of it this way. Any AK type gun that is in 7.62x39 is not legal to acquire. Period.

Any AK in a different caliber is simply bound by the terms of the "Evil Features" part of the ban UNLESS it was made before the ban in Sept 94.

So you can have a "clean" post ban AK in anything but 7.62x39
Or you can have an "evil" pre ban AK in anything but 7.62x39

A compensator is not an evil feature. The practical problem is that it will cost you probably half of what you paid for the gun to have the front sight base (which is where the threads are) replaced, then buy a brake, then have it permanently affixed.

Don

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

actually reading the law just answered my question. According to the law as long as my gun (SAR1 or AK47 type) is listed in section 1, it doesn't need to meet section 3 (evil features). So telestock, threaded barrel, compensator are good to go. Unless i'm missing something.

Forget about the name of the gun. Think of it this way. Any AK type gun that is in 7.62x39 is not legal to acquire. Period.

Any AK in a different caliber is simply bound by the terms of the "Evil Features" part of the ban UNLESS it was made before the ban in Sept 94.

So you can have a "clean" post ban AK in anything but 7.62x39
Or you can have an "evil" pre ban AK in anything but 7.62x39

A compensator is not an evil feature. The practical problem is that it will cost you probably half of what you paid for the gun to have the front sight base (which is where the threads are) replaced, then buy a brake, then have it permanently affixed.

Don

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Right, that's how I understand it. I was just asking questions about the OP's rifle, but apparently he has a special permit.

actually reading the law just answered my question. According to the law as long as my gun (SAR1 or AK47 type) is listed in section 1, it doesn't need to meet section 3 (evil features). So telestock, threaded barrel, compensator are good to go. Unless i'm missing something.

Yes, you're missing that it has to be a pre-ban to have the evil features. Just being listed in section 1 means banned permanently, no way no how can you have it.

"Assault weapon" means any one of the following:

SEC. 1 = Anything in here

SEC. 2 = Anything/parts in here

SEC. 3 = and including anything in here, not listed in section 1.

SEC. 4 = Anything/parts in here

Last edited:
ok im looking at section 3 of the CT AWB and it states:

Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

Since my clone IS listed in section 1 and it is considered an assault weapon, and i don't see anywhere where there is an "and".

It looks to me like section 3 is describing all post ban features (which doesn't apply to any gun in section 1 (like mine).

I don't understand what you're not getting. It's spelled out pretty clearly. It doesn't matter, you a have a listed assault weapon which you supposedly have a permit for stating you can legally own it in it's original form. The way I interpret the law, if you put a folding butt-stock, flash suppressor et cetera on your rifle you will be violating the AWB if your rifle is not a pre-ban. Call DPS and ask them.

I don't understand what you're not getting. It's spelled out pretty clearly. It doesn't matter, you a have a listed assault weapon which you supposedly have a permit for stating you can legally own it in it's original form. The way I interpret the law, if you put a folding butt-stock, flash suppressor et cetera on your rifle you will be violating the AWB if your rifle is not a pre-ban. Call DPS and ask them.

The DPS doesn't know crap. Whatever you get on a phone call will be one cops opinion. Try to get them to take a position in writing, ha. Your phone call will mean nothing.
CTsupra I disagree with you on this one.

Beastly's gun is already a registered AW. He already has a permit for it. So it can't be made into "more of" an AW by adding evil features. So provided he has the certificate necessary to own that AW legally, he can add evil features at will.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom