AK parts kits

shotgunwilly870

NES Member
I'm looking for a few parts kits to keep me busy this winter where's the best deals and selections I've searched around but haven't found any great deals out there.

Arms of America has a lot of kits, not sure if there are any deals though. I was going to suggest Royal Tiger - that's where I got my last kit, barreled Polish kit, brand new, for $310, but they now say no kits sold to MA.

It depends on the kit. For 74, there are not many selections, so just search "AK parts kit" and pick the lowest cost. Most big places will be in the first two pages. 47s there are just too many variations, some more rare than others.

I just got a 9" pistol parts kit from AK builder I'm going to SBR I'm digging it
d609b7b8b9629d41049427a68c56e889.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys use a jig to square up the front trunnions to the receivers for drilling I just ordered one from AK builder and it hurt me in the wallet

The front trunnions are squared up by the grooves that the receiver slides into. Front to back position is located by using a couple of mags.

Start small and ream as needed.
Plenty of links to check online. I will see if I can find the links I used and post them.

Most of the links I had saved on my phone are 'url not found'. I did find one that was ok, just a LOT of extra info to sort through. I have more on my flash drive. I can get those off tomorrow at work and post them as well. If you are handy, it is not as difficult as it seems. First hint, get a bigger hammer. A 3lb sledge is minimum.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61255&page=3

I understand that but how do you locate the holes if drilling a receiver with no trunnion holes

Rear trunnion , I measure the trunnion with calipers and scribe lines drill one side . Push the rear trunnion in. then I use the trunnion as a drill guide for the other side.

Front trunnion I use a mag to check placement and take note if how far it sticks in or out of the front.
I'll measure the holes or take a tracing of the holes.
Drill one side then use it as a drill guide.

For the trigger pins, safety, center rivet .
I made a jig. Took 1/4x2x 11 inch bar stock .
Put it in my mill and laid the holes out from the rear of the receiver . 1/4 holes
I also milled a block to fit inside the receiver.
I clamp the jig on and center punch and drill with a small bit on both sides . Then I step it up to the correct size .

I understand that but how do you locate the holes if drilling a receiver with no trunnion holes

the ghetto way i've done it before is to put a sticky note over the trunninon and then rub with a pen or pencil to create a stencil. line this up on your receiver, hit with a spring loaded punch and drill away.

I've got a scrap 80% receiver that has the holes in the right place. I slide the trunnion into the scrap receiver, clamp the new receiver to the scrap receiver, and drill through the trunnion into one side of the new receiver. Then I slide the trunnion into the new receiver, clamp it in place, and drill through to the other side.

As with most of my building techniques, it is half assed and overly complicated, but it has worked for me so far.

I just can't remember how I located the holes in the scrap receiver. Might have been similar to the post it note.method.

You can make a simple tool from a thin piece of sheet metal to locate the holes. just cut a strip about 6" long fold it over on itself and then drill a hole through the both end of the open end. you can stick a rivet in one side and use that to locate the hole and the other open hole will be where you need to drill . see the link for what it will look like.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449272_200449272

Back
Top Bottom