AG Enforcement on lowers received prior to ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all got a question for you that I can't seem to find the answers to, I had a lower sent to an FFL prior to the new "ban". I filled out the paperwork, got the background check and took possession of it over a month before she changed the rules. If I were to try to build it and register it now, would that be breaking the law? I was under the assumption that because it was in the state prior to the new ban, it's in the clear as per her sites FAQ it notes that lowers are considered "assault weapons", so technically I'm free and clear to register and build?

From her site:

: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?

• Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.

Thanks in advance!

You're asking for an opinion about the Attorney General's opinion about law. Your guess is as good as mine; but it's your a$$ that's on the line. Read her <spit> FAQ <spit>, and use your best judgement.

You're asking for an opinion about the Attorney General's opinion about law. Your guess is as good as mine; but it's your a$$ that's on the line. Read her <spit> FAQ <spit>, and use your best judgement.

Yeah at this point I won't be building it out for fear of the risk, but was curious about it.

Dude....Nobody knows......

Think about this. This whole thing from the AG is bogus. Per the AG's directive:

1. assault weapons are illegal
2. she is not creating new law, the affected guns have always been illegal (since 1994)
3.she "promises" not to prosecute those "who bought the weapons believing they were legal before her July directive

The whole premise that guns/receivers that were legally owned before the July 20th directive was issued are still legal to own/buy/sell/build rests on "promise not to prosecute" statement. That statement is in no way any real protection by way of law. Its all up to you and your discretion.

Hey all got a question for you that I can't seem to find the answers to, I had a lower sent to an FFL prior to the new "ban". I filled out the paperwork, got the background check and took possession of it over a month before she changed the rules. If I were to try to build it and register it now, would that be breaking the law? I was under the assumption that because it was in the state prior to the new ban, it's in the clear as per her sites FAQ it notes that lowers are considered "assault weapons", so technically I'm free and clear to register and build?

From her site:

: Does the Enforcement Notice affect the legality of the sale of receivers for Assault Weapons if the gun is not built out?

• Yes. If the receiver is for a weapon that would meet one of the tests described above, it will be treated as an Assault Weapon and it cannot be sold in Massachusetts.

Thanks in advance!

Nobody has an answer to this. Just opinions.

My opinion is that anyone filing an FA-10 after 7/20 on something resembling an AR15 is not very smart. Note that I'm not saying don't build it, but whatever you decide to do, I wouldn't generate paper on it. (that's illegal too, just in my mind, you're not likely to get rapped on that vs the AG shit, but who knows at this point. )

-Mike

Nobody has an answer to this. Just opinions.

My opinion is that anyone filing an FA-10 after 7/20 on something resembling an AR15 is not very smart. Note that I'm not saying don't build it, but whatever you decide to do, I wouldn't generate paper on it. (that's illegal too, just in my mind, you're not likely to get rapped on that vs the AG shit, but who knows at this point. )

-Mike

Yeah I won't be risking building it anytime soon. Not until this insanity is sorted out. It stays a lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom