Africa

dixidawg

NES Member
Last year, my uncle and I started a sort of hunting "bucket list". We did a Colorado Elk hunt last year, and this year we were lucky enough to be able to do an African safari. It was an absolutely incredible experience in so many ways. The sheer numbers of game there and vastness of the miles of uninhabited bush was beyond belief. We just got home yesterday and I am just now sorting out all the pictures and videos I took. Here are some pics of the animals I harvested:

100_2404.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0588.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0541.jpg
[/IMG]

The outfitter we used was Zeekopan. I can't recommend them highly enough:

http://www.hunting-safaris-africa.com/

Last edited:
Did you shoot those all in the same day?

Looks like a good time.

No. It was over the course of the week. My uncle also took tha same 5 species. We shot all 10 animals in 5 hunting days.

I highly recommend that anyone that hunts go there at least once in their life time. Incredible.

How do you get all that meat home?

What does Zebra taste like? (Please don't say chicken. [wink])

How do you get all that meat home?

What does Zebra taste like? (Please don't say chicken. [wink])

The meat can't come home due to US import regulations.

The camp keeps the best cuts,and the rest of it goes to a local butcher.

I think the Zebra was the best tasting of everything. We had the backstraps, and they were so tender you could cut them with a fork. Think the best piece of filet you have evr had. Only better. Kudu was very good too.

We rented rifles from the outfitter rather than bring ours.

My uncle used a Mauser 98 in 30-06 custom built in S Africa in 1982

CZ BRNO in .375 H&H Magnum.

Both had Zeiss glass on them.

Both were very nice guns.

Wow. Nice animals, it looks like it must have been a great time. How long did you go for. I would maybe like to go to Africa at some point but there are several other things I would want to do first. I think a Bighorn Sheep would be near the top.

Wow. Nice animals, it looks like it must have been a great time. How long did you go for. I would maybe like to go to Africa at some point but there are several other things I would want to do first. I think a Bighorn Sheep would be near the top.

We left on Sept 24 and returned Oct 3

Looks like the trip of a lifetime, congrats on all the trophys.

Are there taxidermists who will mount the aniamls and ship the trophy? Or can you not have the heads mounted and shipped out of country similiar to the deal with the meat?

They use Daschund's to hunt Zebra?

"Sausage Dog" was really cool. They use him and another dog for all game, not just Zebras. They stay with the hunters until the shot is fired, then they take off and find the animal that was shot. Zebras traveled in large groups. When you shoot one, they all scatter. That dog could get to the area they all were, and very quickly find the track of the wounded animal. He would then track him and start barking when he found him. Hunters just had to listen to barking and go directly to the downed animal. Absolutely amazing. He could do it even when there was little or NO blood. The outfitter is convinced that there are hormonal changes in an animal when it gets hurt, and the dogs can smell it and pick that trail out from the 30 other animals very quickly and follow it.

I think you can see them running out after the shot in the videos I posted.

Looks like the trip of a lifetime, congrats on all the trophys.

Are there taxidermists who will mount the aniamls and ship the trophy? Or can you not have the heads mounted and shipped out of country similiar to the deal with the meat?

All animals must first be quarantined for 90 days.

There are taxidermists there that will either salt them for shipping or will do the complete mount.

Whatever you choose to do, they then ship to the US. They go through customs and a US Fish and wildlife inspection. Once they pass they are yours to either hang on the wall or bring the salted stuff to a US taxidermist for mounting.

"Sausage Dog" was really cool. They use him and another dog for all game, not just Zebras. They stay with the hunters until the shot is fired, then they take off and find the animal that was shot. Zebras traveled in large groups. When you shoot one, they all scatter. That dog could get to the area they all were, and very quickly find the track of the wounded animal. He would then track him and start barking when he found him. Hunters just had to listen to barking and go directly to the downed animal. Absolutely amazing. He could do it even when there was little or NO blood. The outfitter is convinced that there are hormonal changes in an animal when it gets hurt, and the dogs can smell it and pick that trail out from the 30 other animals very quickly and follow it.

I think you can see them running out after the shot in the videos I posted.

Forgot to add:

My uncle liked that little guy so much, he wants to buy a dachsund.

Anyone know of a quality breeder in the area?

I highly recommend that anyone that hunts go there at least once in their life time. Incredible.

I'd recommend it even if you don't hunt. I've been over there a few times and it's simply a mind blowing experience. I *$*# bricks the first time a lion sniffed around my tent at night, though!

Forgot to add:

My uncle liked that little guy so much, he wants to buy a dachsund.

Anyone know of a quality breeder in the area?

Wow, what an awesome trip, thanks for sharing.

I'm a big dachshund guy, they are awesome, brave, little animals. They were originally bread for hunting badgers, so you know they are tough as nails. I can't recommended a breeder to your unlce though, I got my purebred "wild boar" pattern mini off petfinder.com

I am envious to say the least. Once going to Montana wears off a little, maybe 10 or 20 years, I would really like to go to Africa. Two questions: First, why didn't you bring your own rifles? Fees to high or didn't want to travel with them? And second and most important, how much door to door? (If you don't mind me asking.) John

I am envious to say the least. Once going to Montana wears off a little, maybe 10 or 20 years, I would really like to go to Africa. Two questions: First, why didn't you bring your own rifles? Fees to high or didn't want to travel with them? And second and most important, how much door to door? (If you don't mind me asking.) John

This is what got me thinking about renting guns:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...th-a-4457-form-when-going-overseas-with-a-gun

I did more research and found lots of horror stories. It just made much more sense to use their guns.

As for costs, I have to add it all up and itemize it. I'll try to get it done tomorrow and post it up.

This is what got me thinking about renting guns:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...th-a-4457-form-when-going-overseas-with-a-gun

I did more research and found lots of horror stories. It just made much more sense to use their guns.

As for costs, I have to add it all up and itemize it. I'll try to get it done tomorrow and post it up.

Dixi, Interesting thread on flying out of country with firearms, I missed it when you posted it originally. Also don't go through too much trouble figuring out the total cost. Within a grand is fine. John

Back
Top Bottom