• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice on buying a competition shotgun

So i have been shooting skeet since i was a teenager (15 years ago) and am still using the same Beretta auto. Now that i joined MinuteMan and have the opportunity to shoot a bit more, i would like to get a bit more serious. Part of that is getting a quality O/U. I am interested in the Beretta 692. However, I am not going to buy any shotgun before at the very least shouldering it and preferably shooting it. I am at a total loss as to how to do this since no one around here will stock that gun. Does anyone have any advice? To complicate matters, I am a lefty.

Short of flying to Joel Etchen in Pa I have no idea how to buy a lefty 692 without just dropping the cash and hoping it fits, which i REALLY do not want to do. Would even shouldering the right hand version give me enough of a sense of fit and feel to confidently have a shop order the lefty for me? Am i over thinking this since i am going to need to get any gun fitted anyway?

If anyone has a 692 and would like to be my guest for a day at minuteman, i would gladly buy your ammo and targets!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Ha! Yes, one or two shooters there. I am certainly not one of them. Just joined in December so still meeting folks. That has been my best source of info so far, and going to continue the search there. Thought i would ask this well informed group as well!

coles in ME vs Joels might not be any closer though.... I have heard little of any true shotgun fitters here in mass ? If its skeet your after you might want to look into the ability to expand to the barrel sets if you decide to compete ?
I solved my left handed problem with one of these http://precisionfitstocks.com/ ....a true custom fit stock will run you more than this.
ugly yeah....but I love it. I can adjust to my likings.... You can also just buy grips for other shotguns or if you change from beretta to browning you just need a grip piece.

I shot some rounds with Angelo at my club once and had a chance to speak with him after. He could probably get you any gun you want.

Last edited:
Jump on a bus and visit the third floor of the Beretta Gallery in NY on Madison Ave. They should have every model of Beretta O/U from the 686 to the SO10 available for you to look at, and sometimes have good deals on their demo guns.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

My favorite skeet gun is a 100 year old rusty Lefever Nitro special SxS. As long as I do my part, the clays break.

If you're looking for an auto, check out the Fabarms Velocity. It is designed only for target shooting. Shes a sweet shooter...

A good friend of mine is a lefty and has a number of left handed Berettas. PM me and I will put you in touch with him....

I do have the adjustable rib. I like that you can adjust it to fit you and the way you shoot, but you don't necessarily need it.
Other than that I really like it.

What it comes down to, what I believe, is what ever you feel comfortable with. For the past 3 years of getting into the sport, I've been using my dad's Remington 1100 that he bought back in '72. The gun was mainly used for deer hunting. I bought a 34" trap barrel off Ebay and have gotten up to shooting 23-25 per round consistently. I've been on the line with shooters using their $5-$7k specific trap guns, and beating them by 2-3 birds.

I did last week pick up a '79 Browning Citori XL Trap gun, came with a single top 34" full choke, a O/U 32" Full/Imp Mod, and Leather Case at LL Bean. Walked out paying $1100

Did I need it to shoot any better?, not really.....shot 18,19 20, 20 first 4 rounds without doing any POI. With more practice I'm sure I'll get back up to the 23-24 range. Why did I get it?.........because it was a good deal, and its a cool gun, nothing more, nothing less [wink]

What it comes down to, what I believe, is what ever you feel comfortable with. For the past 3 years of getting into the sport, I've been using my dad's Remington 1100 that he bought back in '72. The gun was mainly used for deer hunting. I bought a 34" trap barrel off Ebay and have gotten up to shooting 23-25 per round consistently. I've been on the line with shooters using their $5-$7k specific trap guns, and beating them by 2-3 birds.

I did last week pick up a '79 Browning Citori XL Trap gun, came with a single top 34" full choke, a O/U 32" Full/Imp Mod, and Leather Case at LL Bean. Walked out paying $1100

Did I need it to shoot any better?, not really.....shot 18,19 20, 20 first 4 rounds without doing any POI. With more practice I'm sure I'll get back up to the 23-24 range. Why did I get it?.........because it was a good deal, and its a cool gun, nothing more, nothing less [wink]

Nice price especially for the 2 barrel set up. With out seeing the guns wouldn't surprise me if that Browning shoots higher than the 1100. Effectively shooting over the bird... useing your "sight picture" of the 1100 your used to.

Last edited:
Nice price especially for the 2 barrel set up. With out seeing the guns wouldn't surprise me if that Browning shoots higher than the 1100. Effectively shooting over the bird... useing your "sight picture" of the 1100 your used to.

I was thinking the same. I only used the single barrel when I shot last Sunday. I'm actually going to blow out of work early today (shhhh, don't tell the boss) to head up to the range and get some sighting in [grin]

Back
Top Bottom