• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why an o/u?

LOL, This is clay shooting, Shotgun fit is everything, the answer to his question is proper fit.
Really? It’s all about fit?

Omg. I’m going to starve and die!!! I can’t hit a bird as I have not spent a ton on a shot gun and a perfect fit

Help. I need to spend $$ to survive

And if you stick with the sport this May develop bad habits,

It really depends how serious and competitive you want to be
I’ve done a lot of clay sports

Lets you and I get together and do some?

I’m in. Close to franklin.

Omg. I’m going to starve and die!!! I can’t hit a bird as I have not spent a ton on a shot gun and a perfect fit

The clays are easier to eat when you miss them.
I’ve done a lot of clay sports

Lets you and I get together and do some?

I’m in. Close to franklin.
Ok, Sounds good,

So I figure if we continue to this on a weekly basis, I will commit to the citori cxs. Not a cheap gun, but certainly much less than some of the others in the citori line (especially the 725 series), and it will serve me well chasing those damn grouse. We got lots of pheasant too. Just not sure how successful I will be without a dog.
Take a look at the Franchi SLX and check reviews. ~6.3 lbs vs. ~7.8 lbs for the CXS 12 ga.

Instinct SLX | Franchi Shotguns and Rifles

I think your sans dog chances are better out west than here where the cover is usually ridiculously thick. Assuming you learn some spots that hold grouse, cover out there is likely to be more spotty, with some open land between good areas of cover. If you or better yet you and a hunting partner can spread out and hunt some cover, work it so you come in where it's wide and work your way to where it narrows or comes to a point. If you don't flush anything along the way and the birds like to run, they'll usually flush once they realize they have run out of cover. If there is another area of cover nearby, if they are older, smarter birds they'll usually head for that so you can somewhat predict where you'll be shooting. I had success doing this in central CA for valley quail.

@peterk123 - just making sure you catch my added info

Last edited:
Great timing, I was looking at an O/U last night.
Anyone heard anything good, bad, or otherwise about CZ O/Us? (Reaper Magnum, specifically)
I see some great reviews mixed with barrel misalignment and light strikes. From what I understand the CZ shotguns are made in Turkey… I already have a Turkish made shotgun that has issues. I can’t afford a Cynergy.
Only from the things I have read, You get pretty good bang for your buck with the CZ line. We just got my wife a mossberg silver reserve 20 gauge. She enjoys it. I have to admit, I love the feel of her gun. While it's way too small for me, it's just nicer in the hand than my semi. My gun is a tool. Lots of plastic, all the weight is upfront, but it just works. Will she get thousands and thousands of rounds through it? Time will tell. She will probably want something new before it croaks is my guess.

Take a look at the Franchi SLX and check reviews. ~6.3 lbs vs. ~7.8 lbs for the CXS 12 ga.

Instinct SLX | Franchi Shotguns and Rifles

I think your sans dog chances are better out west than here where the cover is usually ridiculously thick. Assuming you learn some spots that hold grouse, cover out there is likely to be more spotty, with some open land between good areas of cover. If you or better yet you and a hunting partner can spread out and hunt some cover, work it so you come in where it's wide and work your way to where it narrows or comes to a point. If you don't flush anything along the way and the birds like to run, they'll usually flush once they realize they have run out of cover. If there is another area of cover nearby, if they are older, smarter birds they'll usually head for that so you can somewhat predict where you'll be shooting. I had success doing this in central CA for valley quail.

@peterk123 - just making sure you catch my added info
Got it! Thanks! My wife and I will have the hang of this before bird season rolls around again. Just another reason to buy more guns and shoot more!

I started on a Beretta A400 Multitarget then moved to a 692 X-Trap and now a DT-11 Trap. For me, the A400 was the cheapest entry that had what I liked and needed for trap. Eventually I found having found the semi-auto recoil impulse would throw me off a bit on doubles trying to stay on the gun and moved to a O/U. My style of shooting has changed since I first started. Now, I prefer the O/U for my best rounds and I would still shoot a semi-auto as a backup.

40m ago
Instead of a higher rib, could the same be accomplished by just having your eyes higher off the rib line of sight? Maybe just place a pad on the comb to raise your cheek?

I'm trying to understand the difference between the 50/50 vs 60/40 poi thing. Not sure why a 60/40 works for trap and 50/50 does not. I just figure I need my eyeballs to be a little higher.

Can you tell I'm new at this?😄

You can definitely do that, but the name of the game is all about "repeatability". I personally have a high rub on my barrels and I shoot 50/50. I don't know exactly how I shoot but I don't float, cover, or anything with the bird. I make my snowman so I know I'm locked in to the gun, call the bird and I let my eyes track and it just happens. The theory is, if you are set on your gun and let yours eyes track, you body will know what to do where and when in one fluid motion. It's when you start thinking about things such as, I'm shooting high, low, behind, under, early... what's for dinner etc that your game gets thrown off. The quicker you pick up the bird the soon you shoot, the better chance to break it cause it's closer. That's just what I've observed in my own shooting in the past 5 years.

It all really depends on your shooting style and when and how you want to break the bird.

Come this spring, if you're close to NH - You are more than welcome to join me at my club or come with to an ATA event.

I hit almost every single clay yesterday. Granted, we are just using a cheap spring loaded launcher, so I'm sure the clays fly much slower, than say a real trap setup. I honestly have no idea if I have those two beads stacked when I'm shooting. I stopped shouldering the gun before the clay is let loose. I just kind of keep the butt of the stock kind of where it will eventually end up, the barrel somewhere in the vicinity I think the clay will go. When launched, I pick it up with my eye bring the gun up, watch the clay and then when the faint image of the front of the barrel is close to thing I pull the trigger. Honestly, I'm not sure I have any idea where the barrel is.

It's really fascinating and interesting to do. So different from rifle and pistol. You just shoot. Which leads me back to that whole rib thing. Is it that big of a deal?

I would say it comes down to your shooting style and preference. I shoot both types with a regular rib and high rib. I've tried to shoot sporting clays with my high rib... nope... had to go back to my regular rib. That's just me so YMMV.

Just stick to what you like and what you shoot well.

In my mind it probably shouldn't matter as long as everything goes to the same place each time you mount onto the gun. Then you just aim accordingly. If the way I set up makes me shoot high, just aim lower. Am I wrong?

I think it does when shooting a clay that requires compound leads. It is just easier when you don't have to think about pointing in a spot different than what you would naturally

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom