Acreage Required for Subsistence Living?

aeromarine

NES Member
Do any of you "farmers" out there have a rule of thumb about how much land is required to sustain a family of four? I would like to know based on an assumed mid atlantic location in the region of Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Also, assume level and fertile land with access to water for drinking and irrigation. I'm sure there are a lot of variables that must be considered and year-to-year crop yields will vary. But I'm just looking for a sense about how much raw land is needed to support a family without a lot of mechanized equipment or fertilizer. Also, what type of crops would be best to feed the family and provile silage to raise chickens, rabbits, goats or sheep for consumption. How many acres should be devoted to each crop? Can you recommend any good sources of information that might help answer these questions? Thanks!

2-4 acres with all of the "What if's" taken into consideration. Beekeeping, gardening, chickens, cows, sheep, pig, Hayfeild, orchards ect. some will need more space then others.
Try reading:
The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Sufficient-Life-How-Live/dp/0756654505/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

It lists acreage requirements and what you can yeild based on intensive planting, animals for fertalizer, experience and all the other variables you listed.

Do any of you "farmers" out there have a rule of thumb about how much land is required to sustain a family of four? I would like to know based on an assumed mid atlantic location in the region of Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Also, assume level and fertile land with access to water for drinking and irrigation. I'm sure there are a lot of variables that must be considered and year-to-year crop yields will vary. But I'm just looking for a sense about how much raw land is needed to support a family without a lot of mechanized equipment or fertilizer. Also, what type of crops would be best to feed the family and provile silage to raise chickens, rabbits, goats or sheep for consumption. How many acres should be devoted to each crop? Can you recommend any good sources of information that might help answer these questions? Thanks!

Five Acres and Independence was the book that sent all the hippies to the hills. Never read it myself.

2-4 acres with all of the "What if's" taken into consideration. Beekeeping, gardening, chickens, cows, sheep, pig, Hayfeild, orchards ect. some will need more space then others.
Try reading:
The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Sufficient-Life-How-Live/dp/0756654505/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

It lists acreage requirements and what you can yeild based on intensive planting, animals for fertalizer, experience and all the other variables you listed.

maybe 2 of just the right acres... no way on my 2.3 acre lot could I do it. 4 seems like skimping. 10 is probably quite comfortable, but again it needs to be the right 10 acres.

You list your location as eastern MA, so you've got to also be thinking about heat.

Search the web for the European "passivhaus" spec, search for "Serious Windows" in Boston, and check ShadeWPI's suggestion for generator sheds (ETA: This thread. Check ShadeWPI's suggestions, specifically starting post 27.) in the generator fuel selection thread in this subforum. There are lots of suggestions out there for making new construction VERY efficient and for retrofitting existing construction.

Short of having an extremely efficient, well-insulated house with solar heating, you're going to need some sort of fuel to heat with...and that's probably going to be wood.

Hybrid poplars are supposed to be the best producers, and sizing estimates I've seen range from a dedicated minimum of roughly 2 acres up to 10 acres, depending on actual yield. YMMV; I haven't tried this yet, as I only own a little over two acres.

Last edited:
Five Acres and Independence was the book that sent all the hippies to the hills. Never read it myself.

I read it. I think it has some really good ideas. Also check out "Square foot Gardening" as you would then be able to grow what you need in less space.

One thing to keep in mind. Unless you are a farmer NOW, your first, and possibly your second year will FAIL. You need some reserves to fall back on for that length of time.

Also, be careful in the seed choice, modern hybrids do not create seeds that will grow. You need to find heirloom seeds and you need to learn how to harvest and store the seeds properly.

Also, keep in mind that with a need to survive, you probably won't have any power tools to help you. Invest in the highest quality manual tools today while you can get them.

Thank you for your very good and thoughtful suggestions! My first task will be to zero in on a geographic area. Right I'm tending toward an area along the Atlantic Coastline because I think I could fairly easily "live of the sea" if I really had to (crabbing, spear fishing, clamming, etc.). A coast area would also offer a slightly more moderate climate than inland especially here up north. The mountains of New England, North Carolina and East Tennessee have always held great appeal but I'm afraid they may not be practical from a long-term survival perspective. But I guess it comes down to where you feel most comfortable with respect to having the survival skill necessary to make it.

Land is like space in a gun safe: you can always use more. I have a 160 acre farm which gives me a nice 1/4 mile buffer from the middle to the nearest property line. It does not seem like too much. For subsistence, livestock is the limiting factor, and a small herd of cattle can require a decent amount of space. In a perfect world that space is far enough away that you aren't smelling cow manure from your bedroom window. If you plan to sell / barter excess meat, then you need more. Having lived on a farm for the first half of my life, I would want at least 20 acres to have room for a few cattle, grain fields, personal garden, out buildings, room to rotate cattle and crops, etc. But, I like space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom