• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Accuracy Improvement of HRA with spring replacement ?

mac1911

NES Member
A while back I stated in a post I feel like all my garands have improved in overall accuracy by replaceing all the springs. Now its time to see if it does help.
Well my latest HRA with lmr barrel got a field strip and clean I then brought to the range for a function test. I put 50 rounds through it and brought it home. It sat there until a few weeks ago. I did a little accuracy testing. A few shots to get my rough point of aim at 100yds. Off the rifle rest (lead sled) I did 8 shots of 1972HXP and 8 shots of reloads of 168gn noslers CC and 46 varget pretty much my standard load.
this is the HXP

this is the reloads both black bulls are the same size 6 1/4"

I will be useing the orion7 spring kit 98g and a new extractor. I have had 3 extractors fail on me so i just replace them now. http://www.m1garand.com/store/m1_garand_spring_kit.html
I will do a complete detail strip, peen gas cyl lugs to tighten up front sight wobble and check for any stock fit issues. Being a usgi stock there most likely wont be any issues other than worn and a bit loose.
up date in few weeks.

I've been meaning to pick up a NM front sight for the finer-thinner post. I've been shooting the FN49 a lot and even though the sight picture is nearly identical to the M1, the Belgian has a finer front post, and it definitely makes a big difference.

Any of you guys make the switch to the NM front sight to increase accuracy?

The national match sight I believe is a tad wider ?. Also consider the NM sight is not legal for the cmp garand match. My personal biggest improvement in accuracy is proper use of the sling.

I just put new springs in mine and shot it at 200yds. the picture wont let me rotate it don't know why.

photo.jpg

I just put new springs in mine and shot it at 200yds. the picture wont let me rotate it don't know why.

View attachment 101742
you have 10 holes in that paper, did you happen to shoot it before spring replacement? Im just trying to see if a spring and bolt overhaul will actually improve accuracy.
Just for reference as stated in the US weapons maintenance and over haul manual 1965. I M1 garand is good enough for the GI if it can hold a 1.77" group @ 1000" inches/ 27.7 yards while aiming at the center of a 3.44"w X 5.1"t rectangle The group must stay with in this rectangle with rear sight 8 clicks up and windage centered. front sight can be drifted to correct impact.

The national match sight I believe is a tad wider?
Nope, it's definitely thinner. I don't know exactly how wide the post on the NM Garand is, the NM on my M1A is something like .062".

I agree with enbloc though, I don't change that stuff up. Also, it's worth noting the issue front sights can be used for ranging, in case that's something you're into (the front sight should be about as wide as a standard 200 lb person at 250 yards.

I was sighting it in. The last 5 shots were the ones in the black. I was shooting low then adjusted too many clicks up and was high. One click down was right on the money. I'll try some more this weekend hopefully.
my first clip didn't even hit the target till the last couple shots.

Last edited:
I was sighting it in. The last 5 shots were the ones in the black. I was shooting low then adjusted too many clicks up and was high. One click down was right on the money. I'll try some more this weekend hopefully.
my first clip didn't even hit the target till the last couple shots.
nice, good group for 200yds....hxp ammo ?

It was hxp ammo and I was shooting from a sand bag. I also separate them by year. I think these were 78'. I still have my old springs. I should swap them and see if there is a difference. I know it feels better with the new springs and grease. every spring was quite a bit shorter than the new ones. I used the wolf spring kit.

It was hxp ammo and I was shooting from a sand bag. I also separate them by year. I think these were 78'. I still have my old springs. I should swap them and see if there is a difference. I know it feels better with the new springs and grease. every spring was quite a bit shorter than the new ones. I used the wolf spring kit.

Are you nuts like me! Something I would do!. I will agree they do sound better with new spring set.

I honestly don't see how a spring will improve accuracy. All they do is help move parts. The barrel and muzzle condition and proper stock fitment would make all the difference.
Well that's what I am going to see. In my Pics above you can see there's a huge difference in ammo. I have done the spring kits in all my m1s and they "seem" to group better after. I just never did a solid before and after test.

Received Orion 7 spring kit Saturday and had time to swap out tonight. My camera and computer are old pos and again giving me fits so no pics.
Here is what I did. The minimum spec is from the army weapons overhaul manual for rifle US cal30 M1
Ejector old 1.79" new 1.82" min 1.52". Was in spect but failed the straightness test in manual. Bent like a banana
EXTRACTOR PLUNGER old. 534 new .558 min. 49 :
OPROD SPRING old 19.5" new 19 7/8" min 18"
HAMMER SPRING old 2.16" new 2.13" min 1.86" well with in spec. Although trigger pulled measured 7lb 6oz before and 6lbs 4oz after. Creep is same and still have a gritty spot in the take up....all my garands have "rough" feel. Have not tackled that problem yet. Really doesn't bother me.
CLIP LATCH SPRING old. 54" new. 62" min .45"

This garand was in much better shape as springs go than my past ones. Op rod actually looked new vs the bent broken and worn out of past rifles.

Fixed the gas cylinder splines front sight is snug as a bug. No more wobble. Originally it was not to bad. I just like to really snug them up. Get them good and tight and leave gas cylinder alone from that point.

I also replaced rear sight spring cover this one was just loose.

So now I just need time to test fire for accuracy.....?

I also tightened the front stacking swivel in the flat position so it doesn't bang around.
The muzzle on this rifle looks like it was dressed up. In the manual they show a hand counter sink to dress up the crown. I think they used it but also did a crappy file job across the face of the barrel to either remove a big dent or square it up. Muzzle gauges 2 recess of crown looks good. I polished it up with the brass crown dressing tool and some fine grit compound. Other than the "file" marks the recess looks nice.

Last edited:
Fixed the gas cylinder splines front sight is snug as a bug. No more wobble. Originally it was not to bad. I just like to really snug them up. Get them good and tight and leave gas cylinder alone from that point.

Curious what your procedure is for this?

Curious what your procedure is for this?
http://odcmp.com/Sales/askarmorergascylinderpeen.htm simple doesn't take much. I use a 10mm 1/4 drive socket laid right on the splines groove on barrel and give it a good tap with a hammer. It does not take much. The key is to get it tight and resist the urge to remove the cylinder more than needed...which for me is never unless something broke. Easy enough to clean while in place?

OK so I just could not let this crown go any longer. Its the only Garand I have had the crown look bad. The functional part of the crown down in the bore looks ok.... but i could not leave this alone. Not my best work nor do I think I am a good "re crowner" but i spend more time on polishing most I do do.
I suck at pictures and for the life of me cant get my macro function on my camera to ever focus directly on what I want. Viewed in full screen on my PC the pic quality seems better
here is the before pic..... still wondering what made these marks?

111_3812_zpse9ff8b7a.jpg heres the after.... did this at night inside so not the best pic. looks even worse upload to here.... WTF

This kinda blows my "spring" accuracy test but shit I dont have a lot of time to fix and range test. I know this rifle will shoot better than right from the CMP box.

Well my pictures suck. The after picture looks so much better on my photosmart program. Can see the inner crown, zoom in and such.

Attachments

• 105_3650_zpsc69d224a.jpg
    105_3650_zpsc69d224a.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Nice! Looks much better now. I wonder if someone dropped it muzzle down on pavement to cause that.

Nice! Looks much better now. I wonder if someone dropped it muzzle down on pavement to cause that.
I don't know? I just couldn't look at it any more. I used a harden steal vblock on the barrel to keep the file flat. I hit the crown with 11 degree target crown cutter. Just enough to clean it up a bit. Then used the brass tool to dress it up....
I'm bringing it with me 1st sat in August @ Hanson's cmp shoot. Not sure if I will shoot it or just test it after. I just picked up a Swiss k31 that I really want to try out. Its a toss up I have not shot my A3 in a long time either.

All part of the gun's character, if you ask me.

To each his own. I have to join you at HR&GC some day for a CMP shoot.

All part of the gun's character, if you ask me.

To each his own. I have to join you at HR&GC some day for a CMP shoot.
Yes to a point.....that just looked aweful plus I wanted to freshen up the crown anyway. I plan on shooting it in matches. I also will eventually get a new stock for it....

maybe the springs maybe the new glasses but things went well.

I took a good 20 rounds settling the action and getting a happy "zero" for the test. I let the gun cool for 30min.
10 rounds of HXP 1972 from same lot and my nosler reloads.
This is the HXP not a great group but much better than the original test

Here is the nosler reloads...huge gain here I would say.

So yes with a few new springs and a little tweak here and there a M1 can shoot well......now I just need to be able to deliver this @ a match!

Back
Top Bottom