a rescued a3

mac1911

NES Member
a3before.jpg
I got this a while back. The privious owner reinstalled the front sight and bands before selling as not to loose them. It was drilled and tap for lyman peep sight which they could not find. well from this to
this
103_3211-1.jpg

103_3210-1.jpg

103_3209-1.jpg

103_3212-1.jpg

I know its not correct but its back to where it should be. Shoots nice also. Has a ME of less than 1 and a TE of 1
Now i hope to find the time to find a nice load for it that shoots well. I already have shot some nice groups but know this thing can do better.

Very good work. Tough to find a good C-stock, sometimes. Looks like you found a nice one.
The stock is new production purchased from the cmp. It took a little more fitting than I expected. It also comes with a stain applied which was not good. I had to sand several areas to get it to fit. The stock also had some dings and scratches when received. There was also or still is a defect around the edge of the heal of the rifle. I was already fitting the hand guards when I noticed this. So I match stained the best I could and applied 8 treatments of 100% tung oil. Wet sanding with tung oil and 600 grit paper. Its a nice smooth feeling with out being slippery.

Did you fill the holes? I can't see in the 4th pic.

MS
I left the threaded holes. I have a Lyman front globe sight that fits so if I come across a rear peep sight that fits I will try it.

The short history of this rifle
original owner purchased it in milspec condition in the mid 50s used to to compete until late 60s. Had the entire rifle reblued.(which if it was reblued done well) the only part not blued is the front bayo lug band and recoil plate. Then it was stripped of its stock and had a custom sporter stock installed. Which I still have. What rear sight was used in its hunting configuration is un known. Then the next owner tried turning it into a sniper with a fiberglass stock and bi pod. He was going to DT it for a scope. Local gun Smith talked him out of it. He couldn't get it to group at all. I bedded the fiberglass stock and it helped but the stock rang like a bell. I also have the original straight stock also ...that just plain old sucked to shoot..sadly that was sanded and finished. It still retains the arsenal markings faintly.
I plan on shooting this rifle in vintage matches. The new stock fits me better and I wont get to pissed if the stock gets dinged or worse crack from shooting.

well a while back I found out that the front sight I had for this rifle was not correct.... So i just happen to be looking for a front globe sight for a mossberg 44US and stumbled across this nice little sight. The front base dovtail on the 1903s is closer to 1/2" dove tail....requiring a special sight or mount.... found the sight. Although it might not be correct for a 30-06 it will work.
on its way to being a 50s era match rifle

Recieved the sight today..... now to find a lyman rear sight with target knobs....I have a redfield at the moment but you need a nickle to adjust the sights

retro Match Rifle

So this old rifle belonged to a gent who made master shooting NRA Match rifle back in the 50s Long gone where the target sights he had on it which found their way onto a another rifle and sold at some point.
while back I came across several sights in a bin marked "junk" parts. I came away with a redfield rear sight , M1 carbine and a tang sight for a lever action...all need some good cleaning but a bargin at 20$ for all.
Finally found the correct front globe to fit the larger dovetail of the front sight base.. lyman 17a XF
so now I have returned this rifle to its 50s match rifle days and cant wait to give it a run. Only thing I would like now is the smaller adjustable rear Iris...helps with the aging eyes.

Now the only thing I was not to thrilled about BUT did expect is the reproduction front base from gunpartscorp well ....sorta sucks and not made to specs. The sight base pin is also in a different position. I did not fell like drilling out a new notch on the front base key. Si I just mounted it to the center notch position. The front base actually fits tighter in this position... so there it is. At some point I will get a new base and spline and mount it correctly..for now I want to shoot.

I also tried getting more info a few years about the gent who shot this gun in matches. I went by the house and the new people said he had passed away in 2013 shortly after his son passed. He did tell me though in the mid 60s he finally made high masters with a Model 70 national match

Back
Top Bottom