A Question for MA owners of ME Non-Res license

I just downloaded the application and am in the midst of putting together the documents and photos the process is asking for. I've been hearing conflicting stories whether you can apply by mail or are required to apply in person. How exactly did you obtain your NOn-Res CCW license? If I have to apply in person, can any police station in ME process my application? Can't imagine having to drive all the way up to Augusta to the ME State Police HQ to do this as that is quite a haul just for this. I went over to Maine.Gov, but couldn't find anything specific. Not even in the FAQs. Thanks, Brian.

Last edited:
Mailed mine in and got it mailed back in about 90 days if I recall correctly. This was a year and a half ago.

Was it in Augusta that you had to go to pick up? Amazing they simply can't mail it to you like NH.

Yes MSP in Augusta. I applied 3 months prior to vacation in ME. Spoke with them and they promised they'd send it to me just after July 4th week (they told me I was approved in June), it never arrived and we were in ME in August. When I explained the situation, they said that if I drove up to Augusta (90 minutes from where we were staying), they'd have it at the front desk within 2-3 hours. I did and they did. It was a PITA, but I finally did get it and hit Cabela's and LL Bean HQ on the way.

I mailed mine in and received the card in the mail after a ~6 months wait. If you are in a rush going in person or calling them to get it will help. Some people get it back quicker, I wasn't in a rush.

Mine took 3 months by mail in 2011 or 2012. I've always heard that 3 months is a reliable standard to wait, unless someone who's gotten it in the past year can say otherwise.

I sent my non-resident application package in 5/7 and my check was deposited on 9/18, received my LTC 2/3/2014. It looks like some people are much quicker, it feels fairly random to me.

I downloaded the PDF packet from online, completed the application, mailed the packet in (with photo and forms), and had my permit back in just under four months. This was in the fall of 2013.

Mine took 2 months by mail.
was very quick and easy the application was straightforward.
not sure which part is confusing to you

Back
Top Bottom