A Quandry of a D.O.T.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Gentlemen,

I happened to fall across a local gun store that I had been meaning to get to for some time as he stocks mainly antique firearms...

There were three VZ24's, not my cup of tea, many M91 and 91/30s, a nice No. 4 Savage Enfiield for $300, and only one K98. This one caught my eye, but it is a handful of contradictions...

It is a DOT '44, 4,000s ah block. The good: basically this is a bolt MM, but an older CA import. Full model take down bolt stock. Barrel, receiver, and all stock parts match, down to the DOT stamps on the hand guard and heel of the stock. Subcontracted LU stamped trigger guard. Screws unmarked and round capture screws. The bolt is also matching to itself except the firing pin, but a 4000s f block. The rifle also had an original faded sight hood, late war rough cleaning rod, and reproduction sling.

The bad: barrel is dark and somewhat rough, but may clean better. Also the Waaf's have been lightly scrubbed (scuffed). The receiver WaA is faintly visible, as the bolt, but 1xx (135 or 140?).

The price was a reasonable $300 for what basically is a scrubbed bolt MM with all parts attached. Problem is that I already have a DOT44, but an East German rework that is somewhat less than a bolt MM itself.

I'm getting a wedgie from sitting on the fence over this one. Yes or no? [crying]Comments and advice appreciated.

MS

$300 isn't bad and you can always turn around and sell it if its not what you expect after shooting.

Just do what I do when I see another SKS I want... haggle then throw a handful of cash down and say to yourself "its only money".

Turns out he is a NES listed dealer. I PM'd him an offer of $275 due to the scrubbing and the rough bore.

PM

My offer of $275 was accepted. I will hold the rifle with a small deposit and pay in full with my tax refund in two weeks. Details to follow. My first rifle in seven months...I'm so excited.

MS

Back
Top Bottom