A little K98 Mauser help?

I've recently acquired a GI bring back K98.
Pics here: http://gallery.me.com/sportycliff
What I know:
It's a late war dated 1945, All matching numbers,no import/capture markings, PERFECT bore, looks unfired, laminated stock, has original? muzzle cap.Was in said GI's basement for 60+ years, had a light coating of rust that was removed with bronze wool and CLP, all marks are clear and sharp. Question? I've been told this could be worth a few $$$, does anybody have an idea of who/how to sell this piece locally? I'm not into the internet gunsites even though I might leave some cash on the table. I'd really like to do a trade for a Garand, but have really no idea what it's worth, can anyone help?

Hello SportyCliff,

I'd need to have a closer look, but from what I have seen it looks like a legit late war full Kriegsmodel K98. If the stock and bolt are matching, you are looking at a $3000 rifle. RC Kriegsmodels have gone for $1000+. A Kriegsmodel receiver in a full Kriegsmodel stock, say start at $2000. You have a rare and highly sought after rifle there.

I live in Plymouth and am free this weekend, if you want to PM/meet and I can gieve you a solid picture. If you want, I can also post your link on the Gunboards forum under my name (plymouthmauser) and ask for the really professional opinion.

MS

Hello SportyCliff,

I'd need to have a closer look, but from what I have seen it looks like a legit late war full Kriegsmodel K98. If the stock and bolt are matching, you are looking at a $3000 rifle. RC Kriegsmodels have gone for $1000+. A Kriegsmodel receiver in a full Kriegsmodel stock, say start at $2000. You have a rare and highly sought after rifle there.

I live in Plymouth and am free this weekend, if you want to PM/meet and I can gieve you a solid picture. If you want, I can also post your link on the Gunboards forum under my name (plymouthmauser) and ask for the really professional opinion.

MS

Great news! PM sent...

SportyCliff came to my house today where I examined the SVW45 K98k. I consider the rifle legitimate. I took a few more pictures and posted a thread on the Gunboard's K98 forum (my screen name there is plymouthmauser). Within 20 minutes I had two confirmatory statements and three offers for the gun. Whatever SportyCliff decides to do, he will get his money's worth from that exceptional rifle. While I have 6, that one single put them all to shame and was worth about 2/3 of my collection alone. It was a pleasure to handle and examine it. My thanks.

MS

SportyCliff came to my house today where I examined the SVW45 K98k. I consider the rifle legitimate. I took a few more pictures and posted a thread on the Gunboard's K98 forum (my screen name there is plymouthmauser). Within 20 minutes I had two confirmatory statements and three offers for the gun. Whatever SportyCliff decides to do, he will get his money's worth from that exceptional rifle. While I have 6, that one single put them all to shame and was worth about 2/3 of my collection alone. It was a pleasure to handle and examine it. My thanks.

MS

You didn't get drool on it did you? If so I hope you wiped it down with oil for him.[laugh]

majspud, I like to publicly thank you for your help with ID'ing and estimating the value of this gun. Both you and your wife were quite gracious, and I appreciate the time spent. Hopefully someone will appreciate this piece of history as much as you. I will be sure to post the results for all...

majspud, I like to publicly thank you for your help with ID'ing and estimating the value of this gun. Both you and your wife were quite gracious, and I appreciate the time spent. Hopefully someone will appreciate this piece of history as much as you. I will be sure to post the results for all...

There are now about six confirmatory posts, two of them from the co-authors of a Kriegsmodel book published this month. The rifle is a legitimate collectors piece.

MS

I just saw the for sale thread on gunboards.com. Can you explain what makes it so rare?

SVW45 stands for Mauser, Obendorf, 1945 production. We all know the Nazis went belly up in May, 1945, but the Obendorf factory was captured by the French in March. Thus, very few rifles were produced with this date and code combination. Also the stock type, full "Kriegsmodel", or war model, was the time shortened production version, or "last ditch" production, also highly collectible. Also, the rifle is completely matching and a confirmed veteran bring back, although without capture papers. You just don't see this many rifles of this type, especially in this condition. Supply and demand. German Mauser K98k's are VERY popular now.

MS

Back
Top Bottom