A few M1 tips and videos front sight wobble, rear sight calibration

mac1911

NES Member
Ok been sick for weeks. Miserable and bored so I'm going to make a few videos. As long as my POS camera works I will post through out the day.
First up Front sight/gas cylinder wobble and cylinder spline peening

peening

rear sight

rear hand guard

lock up

front hand guard

The videos are dark as I'm filming in a basement room and the lighting sucks. Just a lamp and over head florescent.
The camera is a 2004 Kodak easy share with like 3pixel or some shit. If I find some sort of decent tri pod for my cell phone it's a little better than this old POS

REAR SIGHT CALIBRATION
I really don't bother doing this as I cant see the lines and even painting them is short lived if you shoot enough. I just get my zeros and right them down and keep a log book for match/range conditions. plus my zeros change a bit for positions as well.
But this is your standard calibration for what ever ammo you choose to use with your rifle. It will be good enough for hits on targets on the range selected.
On my match rifle I just paint some reference marks on the drum and receiver and also on the windage hash marks behind the receiver so I know Im at my base zero when I start a match.
I also mark the front sight so I can tell quickly if it has been banged around and moved.

little better lighting here. My big problem is I really don't have a functional work bench with room for a tri pod. I do everything in a very restricted space or right on the carpeted basement room. Any particular work I need more than that I bring it to my work

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark? Yes. But good stuff to know. Slop kills accuracy. Even if you don't intend to compete with your M1, who wouldn't want to make it more accurate?

Great job, as usual.
Thanks, ~Matt

Looking forward to watching these after I go do some maintenance on my truck. Yesterday would've been the smarter day.

Hoping to learn a bunch in anticipation of M1 acquisition.

I got the Duff green book for Christmas but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I did grab an Orion kit a few weeks back for day one spring swap out and Ron Brown mailed me the sling I requested two weeks ago. Got some Mobil 1 grease too. Helps to pass the time I guess. Hoping to be in good shape for the fateful day. Probably need some more enblocs, I have five or six eight rounders.

I got the Duff green book for Christmas but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I did grab an Orion kit a few weeks back for day one spring swap out and Ron Brown mailed me the sling I requested two weeks ago. Got some Mobil 1 grease too. Helps to pass the time I guess. Hoping to be in good shape for the fateful day. Probably need some more enblocs, I have five or six eight rounders.

Are you handy with a dremel? Can you follow instructions? Make a single round clip for matches
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=20720

I even made a lefty version

Back
Top Bottom