99% matching bcd41 K98k Norwegian 30/06 conversion - range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
My bcd41 Norge conversion arrived today. All matching to the conversion save the rear sight leaf has a different SN and is proofed to Borsigwalde, and the butt plate is a Sauer, but the SN is so close I did a double take. German serial 6149g is lined out and renumbered 25002 on the shaved edge of the receiver. Circle A proof stamp of Kongsberg inspector Hardy Ahlgren on the right receiver. Basement pictures came out well, save I couldn't get a bore pic, but the bore is medium bright and good plus.

The bolt is not original to the rifle but scrubbed and matched to the conversion with SN .002. The cocking piece, shroud, and safety are scrubbed and not renumbered. The bolt body was supplied by Astrawerke and the firing pin by Steyr/Austria, but the serial numbers do not match. Excellent Norwegian sling (no crosshatching). I swapped the IDF sight hood it had with an original German one. The rifle also came with a rubber muzzle cover.

The stock and hand guard match with stamped numbers and penciled-over numbers. The weird thing is the stock code under the butt plate - 42341; 1942, 341st day, which comes out to 12/7/1942. I assume the year code is wrong.

I've got 3 cans of HXP coming from CMP to keep it happy. Both the Sauer and the bcd are going to the range tomorrow!

T.

Last edited:
At the range today with great weather for what we've had lately - mostly sunny and 45 degrees. Shot 30 rounds of 1978 Yugo M75 for the '39 Sauer and 30 rounds of 1978 HXP out of the bcd41. The hits combined as the targets were stacked on the frame.

The Sauer was the top target. Started low left and walked them up to the center. Rifle functioned flawlessly. No sling, one elbow on the table, 75 meters - the target brackets were under ice at 100M.

The bcd41's first shot was low, the second a bulls eye. I then used the sling without checking and pulled all the rounds high left - I think the sling was too tight. I'll do better next time. Bore pic is the bcd41.

T.

Are you sure it's safe to shoot into your hallway like that? [wink] Nice rifle! Is the cut in the receiver ring to facilitate the 30-06 round?

It was moderately inflated. They've doubled in the last three years.

T.

What are these going for nowadays in your neck of the woods?

My Norwegian Haer byf41 in .30-06 (matching except front band and, of course, the brand new Kongsberg barrel)
I bought in 2007 and my Norwegian K.Art. (Coastal Artillery) 243 40 in 8mm (former German Navy issue w/ "O"
for Ostsee, all matching) from Christmas Eve in 2010 were $400/ea.

BTW, you seem to have had a bad day shooting the two of them. They can do much better, especially the .30-06
with the U-notch and front post conversion.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes; 7.92x57 versus 7.62x6[STRIKE=undefined]1[/STRIKE]3.

T.

FIFY

My three cans of HXP arrived from CMP. Got some good head stamps in these. The Norge will be happy.

Two large handful samples of each can. First can, all 1978 and 1982. Second can all 70's: '71, '74, '76, and '78. Third can: mostly 70's mix and some 1982; one '64 and one '65. First time I've had any 80's dates in the 7 or 8 can's I've ordered.

T.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom