7.62x54R Reloading

After some time I have been flipping the quarter of going into reloading the 7.62.54R, I do at times get sick of the surplus ballistic results at the range. One day all will be good then the next batch I will get odd results. I know being surplus is just that and also some of the lots are from the 1930's.

Any one reload this? Any suggestions? or should I sit back and enjoy the cheap price of spam cans?

Thanks in advanced!

There is no down side to handloading for the 7.62x54Rmm. I have loaded both jacketed and cast bullets for my Finn, and it shoots both more accurately than the milsurp ball ammo.
If you are shooting more than one caliber, the costs of starting handloading will pay off even sooner.

Jack

I agree, I also load for it, but I have been shooting a lot of Bulgarian surplus because I bought 3 cases of 880 rnds. ea. for 99 bucks ea. before restrictions on mail order. I can hit a 12" gong at 300 yds. on a pretty regular basis with my model 44, so I have only loaded around 100 rds. Remember that you need to get boxer primed brass, and the bullets have to be .310, not .308 dia.

I reload for it and like what I make. You never know what you are getting when you order the surplus. And the new Greek ammo is crap.

...Any deals on cases where I can order or should I just keep on looking.
Before you buy brass, check the prices on Privi loaded ammo.
It might pay to buy the Privi and handload the brass after firing.

Also, if you are loading for a Finn, check the bore size. Many are .308 bore, not .310-.312 like the other Mosins. I think that RCBS dies ship with both expander balls, not sure about other brands.

Jack

7.62x54

You can get good brass from Grafs or loaded rounds from Winchester. About $40 for 100 Graf cases. My Russian 91/30 has a 312 bore. I've read that Finns can have 308 bores...I use IMR 4064 powder, 150G Hornady .312 bullets. Ill get you the full reloading info tomorrow. Tip: if you are having trouble with copper build up, use JB Borepaste (as recommended) and this will get bore truly clean and accurancy improves. I also use a Huber Precision Trigger and a Mojo rear sight.....Best..

I've loaded for my Rem 1917 Moisin and M44. Had really good results with .308 bullets in the 125-150gr class. I don't know how well the theory holds up, but lighter bullets should shoot better in an oversize bore because they are more likely to obturate.
Best groups were surprisingly from ACC 2015, with RL15 a close second.
Brass used was some Lapua I bought cheap as it was advertised several years ago as "7.62x53R".
I won't purchase .310 bullets as I have numerous .30 rifles and refuse to stock them for just two rifles.

Back
Top Bottom