62gr. green tip bullet

Any good? I am going to start reloading for 5.56 soon, and need to get some bullets..

What's a good weight bullet for mainly plinking?

Thanks
Adam

Any good? I am going to start reloading for 5.56 soon, and need to get some bullets..

FIRST, what is your twist rate?

IF you have one of the OLD rifles with slow twists; i.e., 1 in 10 or higher, you won't get the full benefit of the 62-grain bullets. They work in 1 in 9 or faster twist barrels.

Second, do you want to pay a premium for SS 109 / M 855 bullets just for plinking? You can buy surplus M 196 (55-grain) bullets a LOT cheaper AND they won't destroy backstops and plates the way the penetrating "green tips" do.

My .223s have a 1 in 9 twist, so 55 - 62 grain bullets work great and I can go to 69 in a stretch. Your decision should be based upon YOUR gun's rate of twist and how much you want to pay for bullets.

This isn't even taking into consideration that 55 grain FMJ's are not to be found, unless it's in a shops inventory.
The 62 grain green tips have steel penetrators in them. If you plan on shooting a match with them, they won't be allowed if the targets are steel.

This isn't even taking into consideration that 55 grain FMJ's are not to be found, unless it's in a shops inventory.

Really? I used to see them ALL the time, especially Winchester and IMI, in bulk packs. I still have a several hundred or more on my shelf, so haven't looked for them lately.

When I get the Dillon back, I can start loading them!

Lot's of loading components are on the scarce side now. I've not seen any 55 FMJ's on any of the companies that sell components. And that's just looking, not trying to get them to Mass.

223 bullets

I thought I saw a Midway flyer that had 55 or 69 grain Dog bullets on special. Their price was lower than cheap grade WW, and they have an excellent reputation. Now all we have to do is figure how to get them shipped to commi state of Mass.

Thanks
Adam

I bought a bunch of pulled 62s a few years ago and hate them. They're not very accurate. As far as plinking goes, just about any cheap varmint bullet will outshoot those suckers. I recommend anything by Hornady or Sierra and just keep in mind the weight/twist rate recommendations others have given.

Well, Adam, ask yourself what are you doing, and how much accuracy do you need?

62 gr pulled M855 (Green Tip) work OK for most use, especially if it's going in an AR (I'll assume you don't have an "A1" barrel).

55 gr M193 can be had cheaper, but a re usually less accurate in an AR.

Now, need accuracy, but want to shoot reasonably priced? Get Sierra bullets, look at their hollow points.

12 through 15" twist? Use the 52 gr HPBT bullets.

7 through 9" twist? Use the 69 gr HPBT bullets.

Your biggest problem is finding a supplier that will ship to Mass, but you already knew that.

Back
Top Bottom