• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

6.5 grendel opinions

Unless I'm way off on velocity(2,200 fps?), I believe an 11.5" 6.5 Grendel shooting 123gr SST doesn't go transonic until 600-650ish. A 16" Grendel would be transonic in the 800-850 range. 22" does only seem to get you another 50 yards before going transonic though. I agree that CM is much better for long distance shooting, but Grendel isn't bad. I think it really boils down to:

Between those two 6.5s, I think Creedmoor by default, Grendel if you want either an SBR or a light weight AR hunting rifle.

Agreed!

what happened to 6.5PCC based of the 223 case ?
is 6.5 grendal a barrel burner when pushed to max velocities?

who am I kidding im going backwards, I was just checking out 35 rem. I also loaded up some 32 SW

Only the rifle and the metal trigger housing and jacketed bullets left,someone was kind enough to send me some casr bullets 6.5mm size die and scope base showed up yesterday and mold will be Monday assuming that USPS doesn't go full retard and shut down. Found out that the plastic trigger guard assembly can crack under certain circumstances so I'm replacing it with one made of aluminium.

6.5CM is no longer a fad or marketing ploy. It is supplanting 7.62x51 in gas guns, and rightfully so. Better ballistics, still great terminal performance, milder recoil. I get the ballistics of a 20-22” .308, in a 16” 6.5CM barrel. I held out a long time waiting to see if 6.5CM would fade away as a fad... it hasn’t and its SOCOM adoption is likely to filter down to conventional military. 7.62 NATO will be going the way of the dodo in the not too distant future. Now, for those hunters who already use a 308, yeah probably no reason to swap. 270 is also great for hunting. But if someone was getting a new rifle now in a short action, 6.5PRC would be the route to take.

Tweaked it for you......... [cheers]

I decided to build a dedicated lower for my Grendel upper. Are there any concerns about using a .223/5.56 rifle length buffer system? The upper in a rifle gas system...

I decided to build a dedicated lower for my Grendel upper. Are there any concerns about using a .223/5.56 rifle length buffer system? The upper in a rifle gas system...
With that in mind i also wonder what the best option of FA-10 would be. Lets say you FA-10 your dedicated lower as a 6.5. The reality is you are going to have a harder time reselling 6.5 then you would 5.56. I wonder if one would be better off registering it as a 5.56 instead of a 6.5 in case you ever do decide to sell it. Just throw a cheap 5.56 upper or .223 and call it a day. I know for some it doesn't matter, but it may to the buyer.

With that in mind i also wonder what the best option of FA-10 would be. Lets say you FA-10 your dedicated lower as a 6.5. The reality is you are going to have a harder time reselling 6.5 then you would 5.56. I wonder if one would be better off registering it as a 5.56 instead of a 6.5 in case you ever do decide to sell it. Just throw a cheap 5.56 upper or .223 and call it a day. I know for some it doesn't matter, but it may to the buyer.
It's a great question, but I'm in NH so it doesn't apply. I just want to make sure that the lower I build will work properly with the upper I have.

I don't know what's with the .308 hating, I get the difference in accuracy/drop/wind but it continues to pack a punch, more punch than 6.5 creedmoor until you get beyond 300 yards.

In the typical intended range of a lighter shoulder fired carbine with something like a red dot, 2.5x, etc etc, .308 is going to put more power to the target just as accurately as 6.5 creedmoor. Other than a recoil reduction you only lose with creedmoor in that type of rifle.

Gas length and buffer tube type are unrelated, but you gotta get the spring and buffer right (and of course use a rifle buffer with a rifle tube, else your lower will develop "ears" real quick :) )..

But why do you want a rifle tube? I am putting together a 22 in 6.5 creedmoor and it will be a carbine tube, ie adjustable and easier to store if nothing else. Lots of stocks out there that lock in place so there is no play, a basic one is a magpul str.

Gas length and buffer tube type are unrelated, but you gotta get the spring and buffer right (and of course use a rifle buffer with a rifle tube, else your lower will develop "ears" real quick :) )..

But why do you want a rifle tube? I am putting together a 22 in 6.5 creedmoor and it will be a carbine tube, ie adjustable and easier to store if nothing else. Lots of stocks out there that lock in place so there is no play, a basic one is a magpul str.
I'm interested in this:

But, if I can use this:

I'd be ok with it.

I'm interested in this:

But, if I can use this:

I'd be ok with it.

Cool - I see where you are going, may want to research what people end up with for buffer weight and springs with 6.5 Grendel, if you need an adjustable gas block.. maybe if you have no strong feelings go with the formula you feel best about - if that ends up being a rifle or carbine system, so be it.. really shouldn't matter but for instance I'm not sure if the springs I like for 5.56 come in a rifle length, and if they did I don't know if they would be the same.

Cool - I see where you are going, may want to research what people end up with for buffer weight and springs with 6.5 Grendel, if you need an adjustable gas block.. maybe if you have no strong feelings go with the formula you feel best about - if that ends up being a rifle or carbine system, so be it.. really shouldn't matter but for instance I'm not sure if the springs I like for 5.56 come in a rifle length, and if they did I don't know if they would be the same.
Space (right now) isn't really an issue. I want this to be "dedicated" to the Grendel, as I have two SBR ready lowers that are for the most part dedicated to 12.5 and 11.5/14.5 uppers in 5.56.

Space (right now) isn't really an issue. I want this to be "dedicated" to the Grendel, as I have two SBR ready lowers that are for the most part dedicated to 12.5 and 11.5/14.5 uppers in 5.56.
Finshed!

Bear Creek Aresenal 18" 6.5 Grendel upper
Aero Precision M4E1 Lower
Luth-AR MBA-1 stock
SWFA 10x42 Tactical (from samplelist)

grendel complete.jpg

Back
Top Bottom