50/70 trapdoor carbine

ey guys so i was offered a 50/70 trapdoor carbine today, but i am a novice when it comes to these and was won dering what i should look at as far as orginiality and condtion? any help much appreciated! thanks!

Could be worth alot could be worth very little. If you can get it for $300 to $350 and it looks OK to you go for it, otherwise do your homework first. On the internet try: The U.S. Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Information Center and post a detailed description. If you have time buy Poyer's book on the 45/70 rifle.

Things that matter:
- Date, S/N, any marking on the metal or wood
- Length of barrel and number of bands
- Broken parts
- Cartouche (if any and quality)
- Length of barrel (many have been shortened)
- Are the screws buggered up
- Missing parts
- Quality of the bore
- Original stock? (many carbines are shortened full length stocks) (see if the ram rod hole has been plugged and sanded) carbines don't have ram rods.
- If a carbine, does it have carbine sights? Should have a "C" stamped on side and not a "R"
- Front sight original?
- Saddle ring present/original
- Can you reand the "V" and "P" on the barrel?
- Extractor works and spring present?
- Has the stock been sanded?
- Does the S/N match the year on the breech block?
- Does the lock work properly?

Good Luck!

Pricing your trapdoor.

Also if you have a good description,go on "GunBroker" and look for similar rifle(s). By looking at the rating of the seller and number of firarms he has sold you can get a feeling for thier reliability. The good thing about Gunbroker is there should be many detailed photos. Ignore the ones no one is bidding from a price perspective. Guns with several or many bidders usually reflect the going price plus a little. Also you can ignore bidders with a NR rating or less than 12 previous sales.

I woud offer 50% to 75% of the going price depending on how much you want it.

FYI, most if not all Trapdoors are not considered "firearms" by the ATF.

TFLeader gave some great advice and I agree The U.S. Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Information Center. The 50/70 could be a great find. Also depends on whether you are buying a shooter or a collector, although a rifle can be both. Personally, even if a rifle is not 100% correct I might buy it as a shooter if the price is right. The real heartbreak is paying full boat for a collector and finding out later it is not correct. The afore mentioned website should be able to help you with that. I would scoop up a 50/70 carbine in a heart beat if it was right.

Back
Top Bottom