5 Gal buckets

jmjkd

Instructor
I got some 5 gal buckets. But the lids are not screw on they almost snap on with a lip that inserts inside another lip. They are a real pain to re-lid. Has anyone ever used these lids and is there an easy way to work theses? A tool or something for the job?

btw the buckets were for icing in a bakery.
Thanks.

I use big rubber mallet to hammer the lid in, if that doesn't work you need to hammer harder and if the bucket brake, **** it, it's warped and should be thrown out.

Cant just stomp it back on with your foot? Rubber mallet? I know they make a tool to take the lid off, you could find it at a paint supply place or probably HD or Lowes. Ive never seen 5gal buckets with screw on lids.

Rubber mallet to close them....& something along these lines to open them (search pail opener).

3000-03LRG.jpg

" Gamma Seal Lid " <--- link describes product and also is a good source.
I have no association with the source but have used them in the past with good results.

For the uninformed: A "Gamma Seal or Lid" is a lid for a 5 gallon bucket which snaps onto the top of the bucket and has a center portion which unscrews. You will still need mylar bags abd a heat sealer for the bags unless you are using the entire contants of the pail at one time.

+1 on the gamma seal lids. I recently purchased some and I found this place to have the best pricing:

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/gammaseals.html

" Gamma Seal Lid " <--- link describes product and also is a good source.
I have no association with the source but have used them in the past with good results.

For the uninformed: A "Gamma Seal or Lid" is a lid for a 5 gallon bucket which snaps onto the top of the bucket and has a center portion which unscrews. You will still need mylar bags abd a heat sealer for the bags unless you are using the entire contants of the pail at one time.

If they are just for simple utility and you don't need the integrity of the original seal, you can take a utility knife and cut away sections of the locking lip from the lid.

Makes them much easier to get on and off, but you do lose some of the seal.

And be really careful, this is a prime opportunity to bury the utility knife into your supporting hand!

HOme Depot sells the Gamma lids in the paint section. I bought a few to use on the buckets once I open them. For storage I just use the regular bucket lid. YOu arent going to be opening these buckets often so why pay extra for a screw on lid just t=for storage. I figure I will open a bucket of wheat and then put the Gamma on. Once the bucket is empty transfer the Gamma to the next bucket I open.

Thank you guys but I guess you have not seen this type of bucket/lid
The lid itself has a ½ lip that will vacum seal the bucket shut. It has to be inserted, not bashed in with a rubber mallet. When you get 98% of the lid inside you still have an inch of the lip out side the bucket. Maybe if we have a baker out here he might know how to do this because thery were used to transport shortening and such. I don't know and this is for food not utility.

Back
Top Bottom