• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

5.56 shoulder back too far?

I just bought some new LC 13 brass.
I checked mine with a Hornady head space bushing.
I too end up at 1.4555 before sizing, or shooting. They fit perfect in my Dillon Headspace/case length gauge. Brass OAL is perfect, not trimmed
I am now wondering if they were fired, resized and sent out as new. Or are some cases made different?
They look new though.
Thanks, Mike

If it's new new then there won't be any primer crimp ring, and you'll still be able to see the darker shade around the neck where it was annealed. I just bought a bunch of this too and it's nice stuff. It's all been sized as part of the manufacturing process, then annealed, so it should be good to go in the case gauge.

I found that the case necks can get kind of beat up in transit though, so I've been neck sizing them and then chamfering the inside and outside edges of the case mouth before loading.

What if they are once fired and shoulder is already short by .003 and your bottoming out your sizing die and the shoulder is not reaching the die?
My match rifle brass stays with the match rifle. No short brass.
Now all my "new " brass for my match rifle is sized in my plinking die set to min saami spec then shot in practice.
I run all all other 223 brass to saami spec and check on Wilson guage.
If there is brass that is already "short" I have not found it or had any known problems because of it.

Back
Top Bottom