47% of households will pay no federal income tax

richc

NES Member
http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/30/pf/taxes/who_pays_taxes/index.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Most people think they pay too much to Uncle Sam, but for some people it simply is not true.

In 2009, roughly 47% of households, or 71 million, will not owe any federal income tax, according to estimates by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.

Some in that group will even get additional money from the government because they qualify for refundable tax breaks.

The ranks of those whose major federal tax burdens net out at zero -- or less -- is on the rise. The center's original 2009 estimate was 38%. That was before enactment in February of the $787 billion economic recovery package, which included a host of new or expanded tax breaks.

The issue doesn't get a lot of attention even as lawmakers debate how to pay for policy initiatives like health reform, whether to extend the Bush tax cuts and how to reduce the deficit.

The vast majority of households making up to $30,000 fall into the category, as do nearly half of all households making between $30,000 and $40,000.

As you move up the income scale the percentages drop.

Nearly 22% of those making between $50,000 and $75,000 end up with no federal income tax liability or negative liability as do 9% of households with incomes between $75,000 and $100,000.

Of course, income taxes don't tell the whole story. Workers are also subject to payroll taxes, which support Social Security and Medicare.

When considering federal income taxes in combination with payroll taxes, the percent of households with a net liability of zero or less is estimated to be 24% this year, according to the Tax Policy Center's estimates.

A key reason why there is a zero-liability group at all is because the U.S. tax system is progressive. Those who bring in more money pay more than those lower down the income scale to support government functions such as national defense and social safety nets like Medicaid for those in need. That progressivity can be dialed up or down.

"Some think it's too progressive. Some don't think it's progressive enough," said Roberton Williams, a senior fellow at the center.

President Obama falls into the latter camp. He has proposed increasing the income tax burden on families making more than $250,000 and individuals making more than $200,000, while offering new measures to reduce the tax bite for most Americans making less.

One of Obama's proposals is to extend the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts for everyone except high-income tax filers, which was the group that derived the most benefit from those cuts.

As a result, under Obama's budget, he would keep the ranks of the non-payers higher than they would otherwise be.
Why the tax-free matter

The question of who pays and who doesn't is not a trivial matter. But Washington policymakers are not dealing with it in an explicit way.

And that's a problem, given the country's fiscal outlook.

If asked to vote up or down on whether they are comfortable with such a large group of voters contributing no federal income tax or payroll tax revenue, the majority may well decide it is appropriate given the means of the households involved. Or they may decide that it's not.

Either way, that decision should inform the debate about the many costly policies and deficit-reduction strategies that lawmakers will be grappling with for years to come.

"As the number [of nonpayers] becomes larger, we have to question whether we'll make good decisions about how to allocate resources," economist George Zodrow, a professor at Rice University. "Most people don't understand how skewed the tax distribution is."

Experts say that to pay for all the things on the country's growing tab, the money can't just come from a shrunken pool of taxpayers.

"Over the long run, you'll have to have a broader base," Zodrow said. To top of page

Gross.

I'm reminded of the term, "compensation inequity" from the hopechange campaign. Yessir, the .gov thinks some people make too much money. Scary thought, eh comrade?

Nearly 22% of those making between $50,000 and $75,000 end up with no federal income tax liability or negative liability as do 9% of households with incomes between $75,000 and $100,000.

OK... How do I get into that 9%?

One of Obama's proposals is to extend the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax cuts for everyone except high-income tax filers, which was the group that derived the most benefit from those cuts.

Why do they continue to perpetuate this like the tax cuts favored the rich? The percentage of the tax cut was flat across the board. But what you have here is people complaining because someone's xx% was higher than their own.

Say BestBuy was having a sale, 10% of everything in the store. Someone goes in and buys a CD for $15, while another person buys a new home theatre system for $10,000. What we have from the Bush tax cuts is the person buying the CD complaining that the guy who bought the home theatre got $1000 off, while he only got $1.50 off. And the guy who stood outside the door begging for people's spare change is pissed off at both of them because they both got a discount.

When half the country rides for free or worse, gets PAID to ride, how will the Statists ever get thrown out of power? Answer? They won't.

When half the country rides for free or worse, gets PAID to ride, how will the Statists ever get thrown out of power? Answer? They won't.

That's the goal. There is just a little bit to go before it happens and then it's all over. In fact, I have been a little surprised that politicians have been able to get much traction out of taxes as an issue in recent years. Most taxes are paid by just a few of us, and the rest get free stuff. On the positive side, I hope that young people who hope and work for success can see that even if they benefit from unfair taxes now, they stand to get hammered later if they do actually succeed.

I know I've bitched about my taxes on NES before, but once again, I have another recent example that shines the light on how crazy taxes really are-

I just had my annual review 2 weeks ago and got the highest rating and a nice raise. $6,000 more per year. I knew/know what my taxes are, but it just sank in again yesterday when I got my pay stub and saw that I will be getting $2,994.42 of my raise and Federal, State, and Medicare taxes will be getting $3,005.58 of it.

Now, is this a DIS-incentive for me yet? No. I would have worked as hard as I worked whether I got a 0% raise or a 50% raise. I work my a$$ off (or as much as one CAN work their a$$ off while sitting on it all day [grin]) and I have a work ethic such that I give 100% no matter what. (okay, 95% with 5% going to posting on NES during work hours!)

I hate applying rational thought to the taxing process because it just makes my head hurt, but I can't help but thinking- "Okay, in this recession, you worked 70 hours/week for much of the year, you did a great job, you have a great job, no complaints, but WHY do you have to give half of your raise to people that didn't work at all this year?"

I'm just selfish that way.

I guess I shouldn't complain and just be super grateful Obama is letting me keep almost half of my pay.

There you go, that is the positive can glass half full attitude. Pay no mind to the guy stealing the other half of the glass. Hope is alive after all!

OK... How do I get into that 9%?

Step 1: Go to college. Realize that most professors aren't crazy liberals pushing wackjob agendas. Yes, there are some, but it's not like most make it out to be at all. Only the dumb believe everything they say.

Step 2: Spend tons of your future money on said college degree

Step 3: Graduate right as the expected $50K+ job for the last 4 years suddenly turns to begging for a $30k job in your industry.

Step 4: Somehow get that job making $35k a year. Pay 1/4 of your pre-tax income on student loan interest.

Step 5: Be stuck renting for a few years, while also not being able to afford a vehicle with less than 100k miles on it. Get stuck in a 5 year loan for a modest reliable car that will be worthless in 4 years. Celebrate your good fortune by not taking any vacation at all for 5 years. Watch as people who graduated 3 years before you complain that they are only making $100k a year and their home values have only doubled in the last 3 years. Laugh while you die a little inside at these morons who complain about are everything being handed to them a'la dot-com-boom.

Step 6: Work your way up through hard work through a white collar job, to finally get a raise by going to a blue collar job, then to going back to a white collar by moving laterally pay wise. Work alongside people 4 years older than you making twice your salary while you have to teach them to do their job.

Step 7: Buy a house. Lucky you, the small downturn in prices that you took advantage of was really just the 2% dip before home prices fell 30%. Congrats, now you own a $150k house and a $200k mortgage. You also hold your responsibilities and keep paying because you were raised not to be a freeloader.

Step 8: Refinance to a 15 year mortgage at 4% after being a cheap-a$$ for two years while you stuggle to make due, even with no car payments, never going out to eat, two college degrees and full time jobs between you and your spouse and no hobbies that take money. You consider a $28 bill at a decent diner a "date night". You haven't bought clothes since your mom bought them for you at Old Navy in college. They all have holes. Free A/C.

Step 9: Wife's boss tells her "get your masters or you are out of a job, btw, you have to pay for it yourself". Somehow you make the first 3 tuition payments. Now only 26 more to go. Lucky for you, there are "subsidized" government student loans for masters degrees that give you a WONDERFUL 8.5% interest rate. And no, there are no alternatives. Ramen for a few more years.

Step 10: We made it! We just bought a car with less than 40k miles on it! Good thing, since Car 1 and Car 2 both had 150k+. They aren't American cars though, so you get ragged on as being unpatriotic. Well, unpatriotic > walking since you bought a POS american car that was dead at 100K.

Step 11: Be "comfortable" financially. Bills roll in, checking account goes to $0 every month, but one car is paid for (though nearly dead), the other is newer with reasonable payments, only 16 more years on the student loans, 14 years on the mortgage, and you still can't afford a single god damn used CCW weapon on NEShooters. Feel good knowing that you are that very "college educated moron" that is breaking this country. Be badmouthed for trying as hard as you could to better your own situation. Regret being educated, wish for a simpler life making the same take-home money after taxes and student loans in the end being a cook like in high school.

So, you wanna break the 9% mark now? [smile][laugh][smile]

Last edited:
You laugh, but when our house got broken into last November, they took a bass guitar my dad gave me way back when, and a guitar my wife was given that is worthless. That's it.

They probably felt bad for us [smile]

You laugh, but when our house got broken into last November, they took a bass guitar my dad gave me way back when, and a guitar my wife was given that is worthless. That's it.

They probably felt bad for us [smile]

Somebody broke into our house and gave us a 52" flat screen. [wink]

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson
Damn FDR.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
Damn every president after FDR.

I think the USA is screwed and the USSA has a violent future.

Since I am in the half of the country that pays taxes, can't we get a little more say in things than everyone else? Maybe a 1-800 number that's like a request line?
I'd like to call in a few air strikes.

Well, at least it's progress in the right direction.

Now we just have to help the other 53%.

It's amusing to watch people bicker about who should be paying how much when the reality is that taxing productivity is silly at either end of the spectrum. Instead of worrying about how to divide it up, the real answer is to reduce government spending and find a more sensisble way to fund what is really necessary.

No one should be penalized for making money, no matter how much they do or don't make.

Since I am in the half of the country that pays taxes, can't we get a little more say in things than everyone else? Maybe a 1-800 number that's like a request line?
I'd like to call in a few air strikes.

At one time, only those who owned property (and, therefore, paid taxes) could vote. This was abandonned as undemocratic.

I'm sure the study exists somewhere, but I'd really love to see a comprehensive estimate of how much tax upper middle class earners actually pay in TOTAL taxes. I know it STARTS at 50% taxes for Fed/State/FICA. But from there, with the remaining 50%, what does the average person pay in taxes?

There's property tax, I pay about $5,000/year
Sales tax in RI is 7%.
Federal tax on cable TV, internet and phone
Tax on gasoline
Tax on beer
Tax on cigs if you smoke
Tax on dividends/interest/capital gains

Then the hard part is figuring out how much corporate tax rates affect consumer prices, because that is just a tax passed on to consumers. I'd guesstimate that adds at least 10% to the price of EVERYTHING.

Anyhow, my best guess is that when all is said and done, I probably pay almost 70% of every penny I earn in taxes of one form or another. Maybe it's only 65%, I'd love to know.

Back
Top Bottom