45ACP OAL

What OAL are you guys setting your loads for using 45 acp, 200 gr. H&G #68 style single groove bullets

I've been using 5.2 grs of W231 with an OAL of 1.200 and was wondering if any one is seating it out a little farther and still getting good feeding in all their different 45's.

Last edited:
Chambers differ. I start out on the long side, try to chamber a couple rounds, if I don't get lockup, I set back a couple thousands and repeat until I get consistant lockup and feed. Then I run them through all my 45's to confirm function. I like the H&G 68 BB, it is an old standby.

I was loading 200 Grain Truncated cast and they were feeding great in all my different 45's untill I tried them in my 5 inch Colt.

They were locking up the slide and the jam was close to impossibile to clear unless you pressed the slide against wood with all your might.

I found out later that the rifling in a 5 inch Colt barrel starts in the barrel .002 of a inch before other 1911's. Strange how even a small thing like that will keep a round from seating.

I run my 200gr bullets at 1.235, but you may find that your Colt just does not like to feed that bullet profile.

Back
Top Bottom