.45 IDPA/USPSA Ammo

Hey fellas,

I'd like to get started shooting competitively with a 5" .45 (1911) but have no idea what ammo to buy and/or reload.

I'd like to start off with factory loads, then reload the cases. I'm assuming SWCs are in order...correct? If so, lead or FMJ?

Was considering FGMM FMJ-SWC in 185gr. Would this be a good starting point?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I'm totally new to this.

Chris

I am using 185gr lead swc for USPSA loaded to 1.245 OAL with 5.3gr Titegroup. I get 925 FPS out of my S&W 5" 1911. Why not just get some once fired brass from the range and load your own?

As far as factory you can not go wrong with Winchester White Box, but I agree, why not load your own?

Rigth now I am running 230gr round nose lead over 4.5gr of titegroup with OAL of 1.25. Making major in my 5" 1911.

I'd like to start off with factory loads, then reload the cases. I'm assuming SWCs are in order...correct? If so, lead or FMJ?

I'd say that you'll find more people at an IDPA match firing 230 gr FMJ round nose than 185 gr SWC. Either will work. Frankly, it just doesn't matter much as long as the ammunition is reliable, reasonably accurate, and meets the required power -- which any 230 gr FMJ factory ammunition will do.

Hey fellas,

I'd like to get started shooting competitively with a 5" .45 (1911) but have no idea what ammo to buy and/or reload.

Chris
Chris,
Most shooters I've seen shooting .45 ACP 1911s in CDP (the .45 cal division in IDPA) or in Single Stack (the 1911 division in USPSA) shoot 230 grain round nose, but you can customize your load to function in your firearm.

Respectfully,
jkelly

IMO 1911s are most reliable with jacketed ball ammo. I've seen more 1911s crap out on WC or SWC (although they certainly leave real neat holes!). Plus the lead shavings seem to get caught up around this case mouth... and then in the chamber causing additional problems. Yeah- I'm biased towards jacketed/plated ammo in all semis... unless you are talking just outdoor practice.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

I do plan on tuning loads for the pistol but just didn't know what guys were using for bullets (ball, JHP, WC, SWC) (lead or FMJ) and weights.

I'v been reloading for rifles for a while but never for pistols. Have a few Clocks and others which I have always bought and practiced with defensive loads (never for comp).

This is my first 1911 too so there's a lot of new variables.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks again.

Winchester White Box makes a power factor of around 185-195, dependent upon weather, elevation, etc. through both my Smith and Wesson 625 (revo, 5" bbl) and my SW 745 IPSC (semi, 5" bbl); as well as through my brother's SW 1911 (5").

You'll be at a disadvantage, especially while learning, shooting something that hot.

All our guns now use the same load, 230 gn FMJ over 4.2 Clays (NOT NOT International Clays) at 1.235 OAL ( a little short, but it works and is safe), consistent 174 +/- 3 PF.

I would try to avoid Winchester cases for the sole fact the primer pockets vary, unless you are used to how a press feels. I have seen four different non-NT types of cases- Try to find Federal or UMC to keep the brass from. The press operation will feel different between types, as to the primers getting seated (at least they do to me, but I reload kinda slow due to the environment in which my press is located).

.45 is a good load to learn on, as .40 is very touchy sometimes, and I have the Tupperware pieces to prove it.

I shot lead swc (200gr H&G #68) in IPSC competition for many years with great results, but times have changed. Plated bullets are now available and they are worth the extra cost for match use; no lube smoke. Swcs are great bullets, but you can't beat round nose for reliability. I would go with plated 200gr round nose bullets for match use and practice with 200gr swc lead to save money.

Winchester White Box makes a power factor of around 185-195, dependent upon weather, elevation, etc. through both my Smith and Wesson 625 (revo, 5" bbl) and my SW 745 IPSC (semi, 5" bbl); as well as through my brother's SW 1911 (5").

You'll be at a disadvantage, especially while learning, shooting something that hot.

All our guns now use the same load, 230 gn FMJ over 4.2 Clays (NOT NOT International Clays) at 1.235 OAL ( a little short, but it works and is safe), consistent 174 +/- 3 PF.

I would try to avoid Winchester cases for the sole fact the primer pockets vary, unless you are used to how a press feels. I have seen four different non-NT types of cases- Try to find Federal or UMC to keep the brass from. The press operation will feel different between types, as to the primers getting seated (at least they do to me, but I reload kinda slow due to the environment in which my press is located).

.45 is a good load to learn on, as .40 is very touchy sometimes, and I have the Tupperware pieces to prove it.

I have had bad luck with Clays and a major load is at the upper range of this powder. I think 231 is a better choice.

PS Clays in inversely affected by temperature; as temps go down pressure and velocity go up.

Oh, I also use W231... from 5.2gr to 5.4gr depending on gun. My G21 run the bullets fast.. my 1911 would barely make PF with 5.2gr with 230gr bullets.

Back
Top Bottom