40 s&w

Webster. Been to HELL and back A few times
I just started loading about a month ago I have only been loading 30-06 for my I-bolt with good results I don't know that much about it, I had bought all of my equipment about five months ago but I wanted to make sure I new as much as I can before I started. I have all of the books, I had bought some 10mm .401 180 gr FP lead from NORTH EAST BULLET I was wondering if I can take info from any book LEE, LYMAN,ETC. with any lead 180gr ?

Load data for any cast lead bullet of that weight and profile will get you in the ball park.

NOT precise data, merely a starting point, using the LOW end of the charge range. If a specific start charge is not given, take at least ten percent (10%) off the max charge and work your way up.

Slowly.

As in, one-tenth of a grain (.1) at a time. I do mine in 5-shot groups, so a 50-round box gives me the 10 steps from low to high.

Shoot the 5 rounds in each charge, measure the group size and look for split cases, flattened primers, etc.

Repeat.

Nine more times; ten times in all.

Go home and review the size of each of the ten groups; the tightest group w/o evidence of over-pressure is what you want.

4.8gr of WW231 isn't a bad starting point with the 180gr cast bullet. Beware of data from some of the big MFRs like Speer. Some of them list extremely light loads for lead bullets. This si because the dara is for thier bullets which are often swaged from soft lead and prone to leading at velocities over 800fps.

To save time and components, I only load three rounds per charge weight. when I find a combo that makes the velocity I want, I then start testing in earnest.

Back
Top Bottom