4-5" 357 for Target Shooting

PistolShooter

NES Member
Looking for feedback from those that own or have owned a variety of 357s. I want to add a 4-5" 357 large frame revolver that can take a steady diet of 357 mainly for the range. I have seen all the posts recently of folks really liking the Ruger GP100s though have always owned S&W revolvers and been pretty happy.

I am considering everything from a 4" GP100 to a 627 v-comp in terms of price. Not really concerned about budget for it or saving some of the $$$ for ammo. Looking for something to enjoy shooting and keep for a long time and not wish I had bought the better gun or want to trade it in the future. My short list is 4" GP100, 4" 686, 327 M&P R8, 627 5" performance center and the v-comp.

For those folks that have the more expensive guns or those that own a variety, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

I think I have seen a 5 inch 686, I have a 4 and shot a 6 and think in the middle would be just right.

I like my GP 100. Thing is an absolute tank but shoots great. First and only revolver I have owned so I can't speak to the others. I believe they make an upgraded version as well for competition use (match champion).

I got a TRR-8 which is pretty sweet. I use it for steel challenge shooting 38spl, but also can hit the ringers at 100 yards with my 357 handloads. It's kind of tactical looking though, its the kind of thing that would make the democrats try to ban revolvers - which is why I like it.

I have a S&W 686 5" Talo edition. I found the 4" a little too short and the 6" a bit too heavy. It was a LGS special order as they usually only carry 3",4" or 6".
It is easily the most accurate handgun I own at 75' and I love it.

Another recommendation for a GP100. I've got a SS with a six inch barrel that I use primarily for pins. It's a tank, with good action right from the factory. Nice balance, good feel. I really like it.

Gallery of Guns has an exclusive 5 inch model of the GP100 for a very reasonable price. I have the 4 inch and like it very much.

Ford vs Chevy vs Chrysler

Shoot a bunch of different makes of revolvers and see which you prefer.

I did and I found that I prefer the GP100 over the Smith.

Rugers are built like tanks and will last for-evah!

If this is really for target shooting, choose one of the Smith & Wessons. The single action trigger on S&W revolvers is one of the best triggers you can get. The single action engagement on Smith revolvers is different from most trigger designs, and it only has about .004 inches of engagement. That small engagement helps create a crisp feel that other designs cannot match. Ruger revolvers are reliable, but their single action triggers cannot complete with a Smith.

For the double action trigger, many Smiths are mediocre from the factory. But the design of Smith revolvers allows for an excellent double action trigger with some gunsmith work. All Smith revolvers except the J-frames use a leaf spring style mainspring. This mainspring design allows less friction than the coil mainspring in a Ruger. Almost all guns used in double action revolver competition are Smith & Wessons. The Ruger GP100 Match Champion model is an attempt to break into this market, but all the current top performers are Smiths.

I like both Smiths and Rugers, but for strictly range and competition work the Smith is preferable. For protection from bears, I would probably recommend a Ruger, but that is a different story for another day.

model66.jpg

Recently bought a 'new model' S&W 66 (66-8). 4.25" bbl. The k-frame, to me, handles nicer than the L-frames. They made some changes when they re-introduced this gun, to prevent failures seen in the older 66's that happened with a steady diet of .357 magnum.

A friend just got a GP100 Match Champion, and boy is it nice. Has most of the upgrades to the regular GP100 that everyone above mentioned. I just don't care for the billboard MATCH CHAMPION etched into the side. I also prefer the Hogue-like grips on my S&W.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are just looking new but I recently picked up a Colt trooper and it is a good shooter. Dont think they make them new anymore

Back
Top Bottom