3rd mag for IDPA? Or: "Brother, can you spare a mag?

I ask, only because tonight, while putting some rounds through the SW99 I planned on using at the IDPA school at Riverside tomorrow the gun went down. About a 120 rounds into the session one got stuck, as if it was hung up on the extractor, with the slide partially at lock. I was able to tap it loose and it fell through the mag well. Just got home, but the gun does not want to dis-assemble, as if the slide is hung up on the spring.

Anyway, I may have to use my 96 Brigaider tomorrow, but I only have two mags for it, and no time in the a.m. to go pick up a third. Was just wondering how far up the creek I am for the practical portion of the school tomorrow if the S&W is out of commission.

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I just got it apart and I was right; The rearmost seat/perch that the outer spring rests on sheared off. Or at least 80% of it did. The part that came off ended up looking like a small c-clip, if you can envision that.

I was shooting 185 grain WWB, and had just switched over to run some 165 grain Federal Hydra-Shocks, just to keep current with the feel. (you know the adage about shooting what you carry)

Anyway, thats the deal.

Steve

You're right, two mags were no problem, especially with a 10+1 gun.

I had a blast today, and came away amazed at how much I picked up on several different levels. Very gratifying.

I headed straight for our camp in NH after the event was over and am on my Treo right now, but will post a more detailed writeup on Monday night. This thumb-keyboard ain't gonna cut it for what I want to toss out there, but suffice it to say for now that it was an aweseome, well run, fun day all around. Great people too, instructors and fellow students alike.

Thanks again for a great day.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom