• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.357 auto - what is this?

wheelgun

NES Member
I was browsing the S&W site, and came across this model in ".357 auto" :

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=88463&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

At first I thought it was just some loose wording for a .357 sig, but I saw they also have this:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=52410&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=

These are both M&P compacts, but they intentionally define them as different calibers. On the main web page you can actually choose from a list of calibers, and both .357 auto and .357 sig are listed.

So apparently the ".357 auto" is not a .357 sig, and I know it can't be a .357 mag, so what is it? I assume that the people who maintain the web page just screwed up here - certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Glock calls .357 Sig .357 auto. The even call .40 S&W just .40. I think they don't want to mention a competitor on their website. Seems like Smith and Wesson is following suit.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just sloppy work. I have to say, the S&W web site has always been poorly maintained. It took them at least a year before they listed the M&P45 after it came out, and they still don't list the M&P45c today.

They both have the same model number M&P357c so they are just two different names for the same chamber specification.

Then why do they specify different calibers in the "technical specs ? It's just sloppy. They should get rid of all references to .357 auto.

The whole site is sloppy. If you look in the model index you'll find the M&P9, M&P357, M&P40, but you won't see the M&P45. You can only find the M&P45 if you look under the general category of M&P.

Back
Top Bottom