Question about MA non resident permit renewal

Pistolay

NES Member
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched and can't find an answer. My MA non resident unrestricted permit was issued on 3/20/17. I'm filling out the renewal now, because I'm concerned about the amount of time it will take to get processed. My question is, what happens if I don't get the renewal by 3/20/18. Am I illegal? If so, what are the ramifications?

NRs have ZERO grace period, so you can't possess anything in MA (or if a MA BFS Instructor you can't sign any certs) after expiration until you get your new LTC in hand.

Unfortunately, I think you are SOL.
I sent one in years ago, a little later than usual, and simply could not carry for the 40 days or so, of the time that the renewal took to receive.

As a warning to others, currently they are supposed to be running very late.

I usually start the renewal process 5 to 6 months in advance.

Based on the recent extended time renewal reports, I'm starting my next renewal process 7 months before.

Oh well. It will be in the mail in a priority mail envelope on Monday. Four months early, but maybe not enough.

You could send it in 1st Class Mail. From CT it won't get there any faster via Priority Mail. The real issue is that it will still take 3-5 months for them to "process", even without the annual interviews!

You could send it in 1st Class Mail. From CT it won't get there any faster via Priority Mail. The real issue is that it will still take 3-5 months for them to "process", even without the annual interviews!
What could possibly be their excuse for taking 3 to 5 months to process a renewal? It's not a new application this will be my 5th renewal. If nothing has changed and they've approved it before it should be a 10-minute process with maybe a new BCI check. I always thought the holdup is because they had limited spots available to do the in-person interview and fingerprinting.

You could send it in 1st Class Mail. From CT it won't get there any faster via Priority Mail.
Whenever I have to send anything important through the USPS, I always use priority mail because it's tracked. Not saying I don't trust the Post Office, but...well, yeah that is what I'm saying.

Len-2A Training said: You could send it in 1st Class Mail. From CT it won't get there any faster via Priority Mail. The real issue is that it will still take 3-5 months for them to "process", even without the annual interviews!

Pretty much.
Last year, it took about 1 month to get the reply for the appointment time (after mailing in the renewal packet via priority mail). That appointment time was 4 months after that notification. Once you get the interview, they state that its "about" 30 to 60 days to get the physical license in the mail.

So the above time span was 6 months.

What could possibly be their excuse for taking 3 to 5 months to process a renewal? It's not a new application this will be my 5th renewal. If nothing has changed and they've approved it before it should be a 10-minute process with maybe a new BCI check. I always thought the holdup is because they had limited spots available to do the in-person interview and fingerprinting.

The hold up is to make it as difficult and annoying as possible. They don't really want you to have the LTC but don't want the lawsuits that come with outright refusal.

OK. To clarify (update), the MA Non-res LTC renewal process requires the in-person interview process = every 6 years.

So that adjusted requirement, is supposed to reduce the "non-interview-required' RENEWAL wait time (however, the "first time" application process + the "interview-required" process is still supposed to be the typical 6 months or longer).

According to a correspondence I just received from the MA FRB:

..... License applications are processed in the order they are received. We anticipate completing your application within 90 days of receipt...

More discussion here: https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/change-in-ma-nonresident-licensing-process.316284/

Last edited:
According to a correspondence I just received from the MA FRB:
..... License applications are processed in the order they are received. We anticipate completing your application within 90 days of receipt...

I sure hope so, because my renewal was received in Chelsea at noon yesterday, 112 days before expiration.

I'm at 90 days from appointment today, what a pain in the ass.
Yeah, that was me a year ago. And after my appointment, it was almost 9 weeks before I got my permit. Hang in there. It will be worth it in the end.

As far as renewal, I just got an email from the FRB today acknowledging receipt of my renewal application. I got the same message as NHCraigT, that it should be processed within 90 days. I hope so.

My renewal this year was very quick, (well, relative to past years) I think it was less than three months, maybe around two months? I sent mine in in late April/may, I think.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched and can't find an answer. My MA non resident unrestricted permit was issued on 3/20/17. I'm filling out the renewal now, because I'm concerned about the amount of time it will take to get processed. My question is, what happens if I don't get the renewal by 3/20/18. Am I illegal? If so, what are the ramifications?
My NR is good through the end of June 2018. I had asked for no restrictions and was told that would be what I would get, but it was issued as "Sporting." Can I renew and ask for no restrictions or is that treated as a "first-time" application? Thank you all for this forum.

My NR is good through the end of June 2018. I had asked for no restrictions and was told that would be what I would get, but it was issued as "Sporting." Can I renew and ask for no restrictions or is that treated as a "first-time" application? Thank you all for this forum.

Yes, and every application is treated like a new app other than the requirements for fingerprints/picture/certificate. And this is true for NR as well as Resident LTCs. They go thru the same process each time of background checks from the day you were born (new info gets entered in computer system occasionally) and decisions on restrictions.

Yes, and every application is treated like a new app other than the requirements for fingerprints/picture/certificate. And this is true for NR as well as Resident LTCs. They go thru the same process each time of background checks from the day you were born (new info gets entered in computer system occasionally) and decisions on restrictions.
Thank you Len. Are there any resources on the best way to request the restriction change?

What could possibly be their excuse for taking 3 to 5 months to process a renewal?

Eliminate bump stocks and such.
Eliminate/limit non-residents carrying around guns.
Then work on even more restrictions on the hoi polloi unfortunate enough to reside in the Commywealth of NZchusetts.

We will all be much safer then, ya know.

Thank you Len. Are there any resources on the best way to request the restriction change?
I'm not sure but there has been some random info here and there posted on NES when people ask.

When I teach my Mass Gun Law Seminar and if the student asks, I'll ask some pertinent questions to give the student ideas on what to use to hopefully get an unrestricted LTC. Otherwise, my generic answer is to think about what circumstances find you in MA and where, time of day, equipment you might be carrying, etc. and formulate a specific case around that information.

I'm not sure but there has been some random info here and there posted on NES when people ask.

When I teach my Mass Gun Law Seminar and if the student asks, I'll ask some pertinent questions to give the student ideas on what to use to hopefully get an unrestricted LTC. Otherwise, my generic answer is to think about what circumstances find you in MA and where, time of day, equipment you might be carrying, etc. and formulate a specific case around that information.
Understood. Your class on MA Gun Laws for non Lawyers sounds interesting!

Understood. Your class on MA Gun Laws for non Lawyers sounds interesting!
Ask those that have attended. It runs 6-7 hrs and covers a ton of issues that you never learn in a BFS class plus gives you the opportunity to ask questions in specific areas of interest. I've been studying MA gun laws for >40 years and still don't know everything <g> but freely share what I don't know or when students ask about a topic that I hadn't considered or don't know the answer, I subsequently go to source material (or people) to research it. Much has been added to the seminar over the years based on those questions. I've had lawyers, police officers (including a chief/LO) as students and all have stated that they learned things that they were unaware of before. I'm also willing to take it "on the road" if someone finds a host venue (classroom) or club to sponsor the class.

Back
Top Bottom