• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loading .450 Marlin

The Goose

NES Member
I never would have sought out this cartridge. A hot 45/70 can do anything the .450 Marlin can and I am a long time 45/70 fan. In a sense this round solved a problem that did not exist. However, I got a Marlin MXLR in a trade to even out a deal and it came with reloading dies and a ton of brass and factory ammo. I have grown to love the caliber and the rifle. With the right load it can shoot MOA all day long. This weekend I took it to the Pumpkin Blast IX shoot. I loaded up a 300 gr JHP bullet over 52 grains of Reloder 7. What a freakin' THUMPER. on both ends. This monster just destroyed pumpkins. It was chewing 8" - 10" chunks out of big pumpkins and exploding smaller ones. I do not think there was much there doing as much damage with a single shot. If someone was headed out to buy a big bore lever gun I would still recommend the 45/70 due to accessibility. But for a guy like me this is a great rifle as I always like to play around with oddball rounds.

I am also 45-70 fan but my best friend has 450 Marlin. The 45-70 cannot do what 450 Marlin can due to 45-70 case itself being weaker than 450 Marlin case. That being said not a great deal of difference if you handload. If you only shoot factory ammo go 450 Marlin as 45-70 factory ammo is anemic. Buddy punched a large coyote with 450 Marlin yesterday at 80 yards. Only place coyote went was straight down.

I reload for my Siamese Mauser in 45/70 and use the same load. I agree that on paper the .450 has more oomph. In reality I doubt it makes much difference. Either one can take anything in North America and a lot of what is in Africa. These days I find myself going the other direction and working on reduced 45/70 loads for ease of shooting.

nice...!

In relation some complain about 150 grain 30-06 loads with 50ish grains of powder and the recoil that generates....fun stuff

Hey Goose-

Did you get some lost cases from one of the RSO's? I think a wandering .450 case or two was picked up and held for you.

I was wondering who was shooting that beast. Not as powerful as the .450, but my .458 socomI had similarly impressive pumpkin damage. 300 gr JHP's over 4198. Head size or smaller pumpkins explode. I have not shot for group at 100 yards with it, but it will make bug holes at 50 yards.

Back
Top Bottom