• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.32 S&W (Short)

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I picked up an old H&R top break that I want to shoot. (and I know all about loading and shooting top breaks, so there's no overaching need for any Nervous Nellies to chime in).

hr32-2.jpg

hr32-4.jpg

I have some 78gr cast lead coated bullets and some brass on the way. I'm going to load light. The reloading manuals I have and the Hodgodon site show one load:

A load for an 85gr cast bullet over 1.4gr of W231. There are some other loads in Ken Walters's "Pet Loads" but I'm inclined to start with 1.4gr of 231 even with the slightly lighter bullet.

Do any of you have direct experience with this caliber? If so, is there anything I should be looking out for?

Last edited:
You'll do just fine.
I've loaded some, but have only had a fella with a faulty S&W (it wasn't rotating the cylinder on every trigger pull) to shoot them off. His gun shot way high, but we only fired a dozen or so reloads at 10 feet or so.
IIRC, I used the 100gr LSWC that I had which were a bit heavier than most load data. I think I even ground a few of these to get them down to 87 grains. They worked.
We tried a couple of the 71gr JRNs (ideally for the .32 ACP), too.
Looks like a prime piece.
There's one quite similar at Hansen's in Southport, CT, but it doesn't look as clean as yours.
http://gunauction.com/buy/13767616/
Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have only used clays and trail boss....little buggers are a pain to load with stiff fingers!

I pokedaround the internet and found some Ken Waters articles on 32SW? cant find it now?

Last edited:
Can't help with the reload information but wanted to say that is a very nice looking piece. Classic lines...

When "testing" your loads in the woodpile, make DEAD NUTS, NO POSSIBLE MISTAKE, that you are shooting at something other than at 90 degrees. Despite being anemic little buggers, 32 S&W WILL bounce back and hit you hither and yon. Be prepared for the massive recoil----- NOT.

I think I'm going to have trouble with this thing.

I measured the cylinder throats last night and found that they're 0.315". The bullets I have are 0.313".

Try out one of the Lee moulds.
Is there data for 90 grains? My lee TL 90 grain ish. SWC drops at about .314" you could beagle it up another couple thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee probably makes a swaging die. Seems to me Redding did too. I also bet if you looked around you could find some pretty soft bullets in the .314" range.

With these guns I like very soft lead so that it seals the bore. I load both short and long versions using Lyman mold 313249 sized to 312/3 @ 85 grn. Case full of FFFg works great in these guns even those that can handle smokeless.

I just got some 32 S&W yesterday, I can't believe how small they are pictured 32H&R, 9mm, 32S&W, 80gr bullet, after the bullet is seated it really does not leave a lot of room for powder. [laugh]

Dean

I have a old Lyman reloading manual that's only shotshells and cast bullets. Jack O'Conner is the editor so it goes back aways.info their giving is case length. 605 and a cast bullet .311 . Powder max load they have 1.4 grains of bullseye at 725 fps or2.0 grains of unique at 830.

0.313 Should be fine the cylinder throats usually run a bit larger than the rifling if you slug the bore you probably find that its running about .311-.312 .
I think I'm going to have trouble with this thing.

I measured the cylinder throats last night and found that they're 0.315". The bullets I have are 0.313".

Great for a little gun that I'm sure is hard to shoot with that little grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with 1.6gr of Unique. Here's 10 shots at 25 feet from earlier today:

32.jpg

It shoots pretty good.
nice that's about the best I can do with my SW 1896 lemon squeezer, if I could just find someone to do the trigger job on it.....

Its been a while since I needed to load some 32 SW.
I only shoot 10 rounds a year
Today Im loading up some to stock pile for the next few years. I use 85 soft lead bullet , trailboss powder and lee dies.

Attachments

• CFE572F6-9782-4C4F-B516-1F6AD1085E96.jpeg
    CFE572F6-9782-4C4F-B516-1F6AD1085E96.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Its been a while since I needed to load some 32 SW.
I only shoot 10 rounds a year
Today Im loading up some to stock pile for the next few years. I use 85 soft lead bullet , trailboss powder and lee dies.
Hey Mac! I can't believe that was 8 years ago. Also, why aren't you using a Lee press (I kid).

I wrote a blog post on my experience:

Hey Mac! I can't believe that was 8 years ago. Also, why aren't you using a Lee press (I kid).

I wrote a blog post on my experience:

My lee classic cast is case prep
I did not feel like changing out the shell plate on the pro 1000

I was looking for a lee classic whackOround loader for 32 sw but gave up lol

My lee classic cast is case prep
I did not feel like changing out the shell plate on the pro 1000

I was looking for a lee classic whackOround loader for 32 sw but gave up lol
Lee hand press is actually a really good press for the .32 S&W. It's not a caliber you load hundreds of rounds for at once and I can't find a powder measure that can throw 1 grain of powder consistently, so I weigh each load on a scale with the trickler.

I remember before I even got the hand press people were dissuading me from getting it, but while it's not my main press anymore, I still use it.

Lee APP is would be a good press for .32 as well.

Lee hand press is actually a really good press for the .32 S&W. It's not a caliber you load hundreds of rounds for at once and I can't find a powder measure that can throw 1 grain of powder consistently, so I weigh each load on a scale with the trickler.

I remember before I even got the hand press people were dissuading me from getting it, but while it's not my main press anymore, I still use it.

Lee APP is would be a good press for .32 as well.
I have a lee hand press somewhere? Be fine for the 32 i still need to change dies. Yes im being that lazy with the 32SW At max of 25 rounds a year….. usually 10

I might just load up the last 50 cast bullets and worry about it in 2-5 years

I have a lee hand press somewhere? Be fine for the 32 i still need to change dies. Yes im being that lazy with the 32SW At max of 25 rounds a year….. usually 10

I might just load up the last 50 cast bullets and worry about it in 2-5 years
.32 S&W isn't a target caliber. As long as your handloads are reliable and get decent velocity then consider it a success and a good use of 50 bullets.

Back
Top Bottom