.308/30-06 expansion

bigben111435

NES Member
So, I am buying a new bullets for another round of 308/3006 reloading.
1. Best expansion, going to be for the .308 and looking to go light 110 to 130gr. I have used the Barnes tsx in the past, they are nice, anyone have experience with the hornady or nosler?
2. For the 3006, looking to go as heavy as possible and get expansion at low fps. 200 gr+ Anyone used the tsx here, or the hornady interlock?
3. What does everyone prefer,(we are talking expansion) hp tips, or the polymer type?
4. Firearms are a Remington 700 and springfield M1a
THANKS

What are you going to kill with it?

The Barnes TSX (or TTSX) are designed to fully expand at slower velocities.

I don't think you'll find a better hunting bullet.

Depends on what your going after. Pure speculation, but I would immagine the light pills for the 308 are for varmints/target? The only reason I have ever used or seen the light 110's used in a 30 cal application was for either varmints or single shot pistols like the contender, and I have used the Speer TNT HP 110's with devastating results in both. Plus they're economical.

For the heavy 30-06's, theres lots of options. The Nosler Partition has long been a premium bullet with a proven track record for being a tough bullet that stays together and has good weight retention. For bullets moving at a slower velocity as you mentioned, a soft round nose in the 220 variety will stay together and give good expansion at reduced velocities.

EDIT: Are you looking for rapid expansion as in explosive? If so, the Nosler Balistic tips are good performers, as are the Hornady V-Max, though I can't say for certain that the V-Max is available in .30, but I use allot of them in .224, the A-MAX is a good 30 cal bullet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom